Director - Research
The Research Director for Ad Sales is a professional who has a mastery of media math, computer, supervisory, and strategic skills, which exemplify keen analytical and managerial abilities. The role requires proven experience in television research as well as in cross platform video research. The role requires knowledge of audience behavior across various platforms, industry measurement challenges and alternatives, and ability to create & tell stories driven by data insights.
1. Work closely with Ad Sales and Ad Sales Marketing to increase differentiation of Discovery’s cross platform proposition vs traditional tv competitors as well as digital competitors by using syndicated data resources, and proprietary custom research studies.
2. Work closely with ad sales planners to create detailed delivery metrics reports on key client deals, utilizing Google Analytics, Comscore, Brightcove, Free Wheel, DoubleClick and Facebook Analytics
3. Ability to translate data from a variety of data sources into compelling stories for ad sales to present to its clients
4. Provide insights driven analysis on market & consumer trends to educate sales force and support sales pitches.
5. Oversee international ad sales research function and provide support to international ad sales team.
6. Conduct custom research studies to determine effectiveness of media placement strategy and establish benchmarks for future campaigns.
7. Collaboration with clients conducting customized studies and developing various projects.
Requires 6+ years market research experience, with a minimum of 3-years in media research at a cable or broadcast network, digital publisher or media agency.
Strong analytical and strategic skills.
Education – Minimum Bachelors degree (preferred undergraduate majors include mathematics, marketing, communications/media)
Hands-on experience with IBOPE, Nielsen, Comscore, Google Analytics or Omniture data a must.
Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated track record in analyzing and interpreting research to assist in development of creative ad sales pitches using integrated data sources.
Strong communication and project management skills are essential.
Research experience in Latin America or US Hispanic strongly preferred.
An understanding of how to use advanced research techniques (i.e. optimization, reach & frequency) in the sales process.
Understanding of basic statistical concepts, projection and prediction and related methodologies.
Demonstrate a “self-starter” mentality
Work as a team player.
Must have legal right to work in the United States
See Inside the Office of Discovery
As the world's #1 nonfiction media company, Discovery Communications fosters exploration and curiosity through its high quality television and online content, reaching more than 2 billion subscribers in over 220 countries and territories around the world. Comprised of more than 160 global television networks, Discovery counts brands like Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, and OWN in its family, and it strives to be a leading worldwide provider of educational tools and digital media services.
Back to top