Director of PD Content
Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12 classrooms, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education's services are available not only in half of all U.S. schools, but in half of all English primary schools, numerous institutes of higher learning, and in 50 countries around the world.
The Director PD Content, is responsible for ideation of professional development content to support the growing portfolio of Discovery Education’s products and services. This includes working with internal experts and external partners to design strategic and innovative solutions to transform teaching and learning and deliver on the promise and potential of digital solutions.
The Director will manage writers and subject matter experts to design a robust menu of professional development offerings to address the implementation challenges associated with moving to a technology-rich, student-centered learning environment. The role requires the ability to manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and still produce high quality materials.
All professional development content must meet the Discovery Professional Development brand, conform to marketing guidelines, and be effectively organized and accessible to the professional development implementation team.
Lead and supervise Professional Development Content
1. Work collaboratively with stakeholders to ideate and design innovative professional development resources and materials;
2. Oversee and author, as needed, professional development content;
3. Recruit, train, mentor and oversee the work of independent contractors dedicated to professional development content;
4. Support PD Content specialists and trainings to build common understanding of course/content offerings, policies and guidelines;
5. Participate in and support the planning and implementation of training for PD specialists and to ensure a deep level of course/content knowledge;
6. Ensure all PD content is consistent with cutting edge and research based best practices in PD and adult learning theory;
7. Ensure courses are engaging and meet the Discovery Education Professional Development
9. Seek out and respond to feedback from key stakeholders.
Management and Tracking of Professional Development Content
10. Ensure Professional Development design process and course finalization requirements are followed;
11. Ensure all content development is entered and progress notes maintained in Discovery Education’s Content tracking tool;
12. Ensure all professional development materials are effectively organized and accessible to key stakeholders;
13. Adhere to and manage budget including the invoicing process;
14. Generate reports as needed to communicate work progress and project status;
15. Continuously track and intervene immediately if content development timelines fall outside of predetermined delivery dates.
Partner and Communicate with Internal and External Stakeholders
16. Interface directly with partners, as needed, to understand their needs and goals, and develop PD Content solutions that meet those needs;
17. Build strong relationships with partners, writers and internal experts;
18. Keep key internal and external stakeholders informed on progress regarding content development projects;
19. Merchandize completed projects to Partnerships, Marketing and Customer Experience.
Mission driven; Committed to the transformation of teaching and learning through the support of digital resources and professional development to positively impact student achievement
Demonstrated expertise in student-centered learning and professional development
Content and instructional expertise with a solid understanding of adult learning practices
Experience developing, writing and editing professional development materials and embedding digital media into instruction,
Exceptional project management skills and ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects
Ability to thrive in a geographically dispersed team
Ability to manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced team environment and still produce a high quality work product. Can make appropriate trade-offs needed to drive long-term strategies while still delivering on near-term objectives.
A self-starter with a strong work ethic, who can work independently, or as a member of a team
Comfortable in a fast-paced, technology-based environment with the ability to handle multiple projects
Must possess excellent interpersonal skills, be able to work with diverse perspectives, and facilitate consensus under challenging circumstances;
Expert experience with Microsoft PowerPoint, Word and Excel
High attention to detail with demonstrated analytical skills and ability to detail proposed solutions
Minimum Master’s degree in education
6-8 years educational experience in the K-16 setting
Ability to work flexible hours
50%+ travel required with seasonal variation.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
See Inside the Office of Discovery
As the world's #1 nonfiction media company, Discovery Communications fosters exploration and curiosity through its high quality television and online content, reaching more than 2 billion subscribers in over 220 countries and territories around the world. Comprised of more than 160 global television networks, Discovery counts brands like Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, and OWN in its family, and it strives to be a leading worldwide provider of educational tools and digital media services.
Back to top