Director National Accounts
Partner with VP Marketing Strategy to develop and implement robust partner campaigns for Discovery’s portfolio of US Networks. Lead the Domestic Distribution planning, development, execution and evaluation of partner marketing initiatives that support affiliate business objectives, provide value to our network viewer base, and reinforce the power of Discovery Networks brand equity among distribution partners.
1. Position will work in partnership with senior management to craft sales and marketing strategies in support of distribution objectives; Ongoing strategic planning for DCI brands in the development and execution of national programming campaigns and promotions (customized, integrated, consumer-extension and distributor specific).
2. Establish annual promotion strategy that leverages DCI cross-divisional collaboration in support of affiliate objectives and renewal strategy.
3. Manage strategy, design and activation of promotions, campaigns and related sales support tools aligned to DCI goals, network programming priorities and partner objectives.
4. Manage implementation details of all marketing efforts and any critical client/consumer communications to ensure flawless execution
5. Proven understanding of the competitive and complex distribution landscape requiring seamless collaboration with account management teams to determine which of our distributor’s goals and objectives are (or could be) aligned with our own, and which of them provide an opportunity for us to produce meaningful programs that help deliver on those goals. At the same time, we need to find ways of getting our distributors to market our signature programming directly to consumers so that these distributors cannot afford to cease current distribution.
6. Significant independent judgment needed to allocate resources to programs that are likely to yield best results given the limited time, money and people in our group. Must be both flexible but persistent to ensure that the sometimes-conflicting needs of affiliates and our own networks can both be met.
7. Must partner with key senior network executive teams to identify ongoing opportunities that leverage Discovery assets to build value for partners and expand brand affinity among key audience targets.
8. Partner with account management team to monitor affiliate environment to ensure strategic development and selection of campaigns that maximize value of all Discovery Networks as well as to guarantee key affiliate decision makers are aware of activity through effective merchandising.
9. Serve as internal DCI expert on the marketing strategies deployed for target MVPD’s (understanding MVPD national strategies for the marketing of digital, social, broadband, etc.) Provide strategic input on leveraging said activity in support of overall MVPD partnership objectives.
Bachelor degree or an equivalent combination of skills preferred.
Must have a minimum of 7-10 years sales and/or marketing experience (preferably 3+ years in media); collaborative relationship-building skills are essential; programming/distribution experience a plus.
Must have an understanding of competitive distribution landscape (consolidation and OTT/TVE).
Must have strong analytical skills to assess key markets and opportunities and demonstrated ability to build strategic plans that support sales objectives.
Must have experience in managing team; experience in developing sales/marketing professionals a plus.
Must have impeccable attention to detail, ability to multi-task/prioritize in fast paced environment, demonstrate problem-solving and superior client service skills.
Must have superior presentation skills and have a high degree of comfort delivering presentations to senior network executives both internal and external to DCI.
Must be able to develop strategies and tactical plans and motivate team to achieve defined goals.
Must be a self-starter with ability to own and advance projects.
Must be able to travel up to 50% of the time.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
See Inside the Office of Discovery
As the world's #1 nonfiction media company, Discovery Communications fosters exploration and curiosity through its high quality television and online content, reaching more than 2 billion subscribers in over 220 countries and territories around the world. Comprised of more than 160 global television networks, Discovery counts brands like Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, and OWN in its family, and it strives to be a leading worldwide provider of educational tools and digital media services.
Back to top