Director - Ad Sales
Responsible for maximizing commercial revenues for Discovery’s US Hispanic Networks. Based in New York City, the Director of Advertising Sales will lead the New York sales team and their support structures to leverage the group’s linear and digital assets with advertising agencies, direct clients, digital partners, and sponsors.
This individual will become part of a national sales and support organization with the goal of aggressive revenue growth. The individual we seek will have unsurpassed relationships among clients and media buyers/planners, as well as superb credibility and the ability consistently to over-deliver on expectations.
1. Achieve revenue and expense budget objectives for multiple video assets
2. Manage a team of sales executives
3. Develop quarterly strategic plans, weekly projection reports and manage a five year business plan,
4. Strong emphasis on customer care and pioneering sales opportunities
5. Develop and motivate sales team to meet with the budgetary goals set forth by department head
6. Maintain productive relationship and constant communication with DCI General Market sales teams
7. Attract and retain highest caliber sales staff
8. Prepare periodic personal sales reports showing sales volume, potential sales, and areas of proposed client base expansion;
9. Deliver sales presentations to key clients/prospects in coordination with other sales executives, to maintain relationships or to negotiate and close agreements;
10. Attentively serve new and current customers to maintain and build their business with DCI,
11. Aggressively pioneer new sales opportunities,
12. Create innovative integrated marketing partnerships,
13. Represent Company at public meetings, trade shows or other advertising venues as required;
14. Evaluate market reactions to advertising programs and products to ensure the timely adjustment of strategy and plans to meet the changing market and competitive conditions.
Minimum of 8-10 years as a Media sales professional;
Strong knowledge of US Hispanic audience and advertising industry preferred;
Bachelor's degree in Business or related field, or an equivalent combination of skills, training and experience needed;
Established relationships with key media executives
Strategic and consultative sales/marketing ability; both technical and conceptual selling skills required; a keen sense to interpret situations to gain the best insight on client needs;
A command of detailed product knowledge, viewers, and competitors; ability to deeply understand the value and differentiation Discovery offers Hispanic advertisers and brilliantly and passionately communicate it to persuade advertisers and their agencies to invest in the networks; embodies Discovery’s brand attributes of quality and “wow”;
Proven ability to create innovative sales packages for on-air, off-air and on-line products while maintaining price integrity.
Outstanding presentation skills and communication skills, both written and oral
A strong understanding of research data and media metrics and how it drives the business; proficient in media math, Nielsen methodology, and stewardship practices
Skilled in projecting revenue and providing reliable revenue forecasts;
A highly skilled negotiator who can achieve the best practices in commanding premium pricing, efficient inventory usage, and favorable terms my managing value-earned sponsorships, branded entertainment production, online extensions, etc.
Excellent written and verbal skills in English a must. Command of Spanish language not required, but preferred
Goal and solutions orientation; strong work ethic; an aggressive leader who works both smart and fast;
Diligent perseverance; one who possesses hunger, ambition and tireless drive to win, but balances it with impeccable tact and timing; does not succumb to objections and can turnaround unconvinced prospects;
A collaborative team player.
Must be a strategic thinker and well organized.
Occasional travel required.
Must have legal right to work in the United States
See Inside the Office of Discovery
As the world's #1 nonfiction media company, Discovery Communications fosters exploration and curiosity through its high quality television and online content, reaching more than 2 billion subscribers in over 220 countries and territories around the world. Comprised of more than 160 global television networks, Discovery counts brands like Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, and OWN in its family, and it strives to be a leading worldwide provider of educational tools and digital media services.
Back to top