Digital Media Engineer
In this position, you will be part of a team of engineers responsible for, but not limited to: key customer support, configuration, and preventive/corrective maintenance of all baseband and computer-based production and postproduction equipment at various Discovery Production facilities.
1. Resolve support requests and perform infrastructure maintenance.
2. Install, upgrade, and maintain equipment at the Discovery Creative & Technology Center in Silver Spring, MD.
3. Troubleshoot hardware and software problems.
4. Perform in-depth system maintenance and support.
5. Troubleshoot network and remote access connectivity problems.
6. Write detailed engineering SOP’s pertaining to the various operations and maintenance of computer systems including but not limited to various editing applications, transcoding solutions, compression, file transfer mediums and protocols, AWS, , VOD and NEW MEDIA Software, etc.
7. Provide support to all end-users as needed.
8. Support, update, maintain, and make recommendations for standard software configurations.
9. Coordinate and perform system back-ups.
10. Provide input on equipment and software purchases.
11. Maintain an inventory of current and expired software including a log showing the latest versions of software running on computers under our support.
12. Maintain an inventory of support supplies including connectors, cables, integration materials, etc.
13. If necessary, evaluate new technology and make recommendations regarding equipment selection, software selection and testing with the Operations department and/ or Project Engineering
14. Manage and effectively run projects while communicating with various operational and engineering groups.
15. Maintain, troubleshoot, and support both MAC and PC based networks.
16. Travel may be required.
17. Provide on-call and remote support outside of regular business hours on a rotating schedule for an entire week (Monday-Sunday), year-round.
Experience with a majority of the following: Mac OS, Web browsers, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Final Cut Pro, , Microsoft Office, Media Composer, Symphony, & ProTools.
Understanding of SD and HD digital Video standards, as well as Digital Audio standards.
Three years of computer repair and system configuration experience or related experience.
Ability to troubleshoot Mac and PC software and hardware problems, including Windows and MAC operating systems and applications, drivers, workstations, servers, and peripherals.
Ability to troubleshoot Mac and PC networking issues.
Knowledge of video and audio codecs and frame rates including compression and transcoding solutions.
Ability to follow through on support requests in a timely manner, escalating to other members of the team when appropriate.
Ability to prioritize and address multiple tasks and projects in a dynamic work environment.
Ability to perform well in a high-pressure environment.
Ability to work independently and with other members of a team.
Proven oral and written communication skills.
Ability to read and decipher system schematic drawings.
Ability to support a rotating on-call schedule outside of regular business hours.
This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager.
Ability to lift heavy equipment as needed (50 lbs.).
Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Associate’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or Television Production preferred.
Avid ACSR with knowledge of ISIS, Interplay and Pro Tools preferred.
Background in server administration with working knowledge of Windows Server OS preferred.
Experience with A+, Net+, CCNA, MCSE preferred.
* AutoCAD skills beneficial but not necessary.
Back to top