About Our Team & Job Summary:
The Audio Mixer will have consistently demonstrated expertise in all skills as an enthusiastic member of a creative team that is responsible for, but not limited to the recording, editing, and mixing of audio soundtracks for television, radio and new media. Other skill sets crucial to an Audio Mixer’s success are advanced client relations, creative collaboration and the ability to remain productive under pressure.
The Audio Mixer will get as involved as possible in pre-production and use their expertise to forecast and pre-empt possible issues in post. They are in full charge of their sessions and will run them in an organized and efficient manner. They will use their excellent communication skills to keep all parties involved in a project well informed of its status.
A Mixer at this level conducts themselves professionally in all situations. This includes following all department and companywide directives, respecting session start times and abiding by all standard operating procedures and naming conventions.
An Audio Mixer may have a chosen discipline (such as promos, long form, etc.), but always have the option of changing if the opportunity exists. Discovery encourages continued training, and all Audio Mixers are expected to utilize this to improve, expand and share their skill sets with other Mixers. The Audio Mixer must be able to work all shifts when necessary and subject to change, with the possibility of working with or without supervision.
1. Expertly complete all Audio sessions assigned
2. Sound Design, Mix and Layback stereo and 5.1 programming for originals, reversions, promos and special projects.
3. Ensure all deliverables are accurate and adhere to Discovery’s Global Deliverables
4. Work in tandem with Editing and Engineering and devise creative workflows.
5. Must be punctual and reliable, both in attendance and in meeting deadlines.
6. Must keep organized session notes.
7. Must take ownership of each project, being able to complete work with limited supervision and instruction.
8. Provide creative input to management for continued refinement and improvement of facility workflow.
9. Maintain and upkeep knowledge on all equipment related to audio post production.
10. Assist and train with the Audio Post department as required.
11. Maintain a clean and organized work environment.
12. Other duties as assigned
This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager.
Must have the legal right to work in the United States
5 years’ experience professionally employed as an Audio Mixer
Bachelor’s degree in Audio, Communications or a related field preferred
Must be able to work all shifts if necessary
Advanced knowledge of the Pro-Tools systems and effects capabilities
Professional ability to mix supervised in high pressure situations and tight deadlines
Must possess excellent client-relations skills, and an ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical individuals.
Advanced knowledge and skills with 3rd party plug-ins
Expert ability to demonstrate proficiency with file based workflows and digital signals as well as analog/digital audio processes
Advanced knowledge of Audio Mixing techniques and workflows
Experience in mixing promotional material as well long form originals
* Must have legal right to work in the United States
See Inside the Office of Discovery
As the world's #1 nonfiction media company, Discovery Communications fosters exploration and curiosity through its high quality television and online content, reaching more than 2 billion subscribers in over 220 countries and territories around the world. Comprised of more than 160 global television networks, Discovery counts brands like Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, and OWN in its family, and it strives to be a leading worldwide provider of educational tools and digital media services.
Back to top