Sr Principal Database System Engineer
- Riverwoods, IL
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you'll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you'll do meaningful work you're passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We're all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Senior Principal Database System Engineer leads all activities related to system administration. Ensures long-term requirements of systems operations and administration are included in the overall information systems planning of the organization. May assist, mentor, and/or coach team members. Responsible for the installation, maintenance, configuration, and integrity database infrastructure hardware and software.
Implements system enhancements that will improve the reliability and performance of the system. Develops and executes an integrated architectural view of, and strategy for, enterprise-wide database infrastructure technology solutions. This includes, but is not limited to, experience with High Performing and Highly Available Database Topologies, Database Platform and Storage Technologies, System Management and Monitoring Tools, Cloud Services, Big Data, Datacenter Facilities, and Business Continuity Designs.
- Provides consultative services to infrastructure and application teams regarding project work, POCs, and/or troubleshooting exercises.
- Researches and implements new technologies to enhance/grow existing database system infrastructure.
- Provides thought leadership and guidance to both management and AD partners on information systems, their road maps, their functionalities, costs, benefits, and implementation requirements
- Monitors the database system hardware/software for performance degradation, connectivity issues, system events, and alerts. Updates and manages tickets through resolution with vendors and internal support groups. Tests, analyzes, performs corrective actions and restores availability and services in a timely and accurate manner to eliminate/reduce application impact. Provides timely notifications to management/outage team and escalates tickets to appropriate internal and external management as needed.
- Plans and performs scheduled changes (patching, maintenance, deployment, decommission, configuration, performance tuning) for all hardware and software used to support the database infrastructure.
- Participates in pager rotation to provide 24x7 support for all database system environments (Prod, Test, Development).
At a minimum, here's what we need from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in Systems Administration, IT, or related field
- 10+ years of experience in Systems Administration, IT, or related field
If we had our say, we'd also look for:
- Relevant Technology Certifications
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants - with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law) . We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.
Back to top