Principal Pricing Specialist
- Riverwoods, IL
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We're all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Discover Financial Services is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit thought its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's largest ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payment network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover's vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a bright financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both.We're all about people, and our employees are why Discoverisa great place to work.Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Global Pricing Team is responsible for optimally pricing network products and services, driving revenue growth and merchant acceptance throughout the organization. To do this, the team collaborates with internal partners to manage a pipeline of pricing initiatives and requests, ensuring all requests are evaluated in a consistent manner which includes audit, risk and governance oversight. When designing pricing strategies, the team also contemplates internal and external competitive benchmarks, potential partner reactions and cross-functional implications.
Lastly, the team is responsible for the successful execution and implementation of these pricing strategies, taking into consideration system development needs, and internal and external communication and training requirements.
- Participate in cross-functional teams to solve business problems using pricing solutions, collaborating and coordinating with internal stakeholders to make recommendations.
- Assist in the development of robust pricing strategies and policies for various partnerships - most specifically the Diners Club and Global Acceptance partners.
- Perform quantitative analyses on internal data (e.g. xx, yy, zz) and external data (e.g. industry research, analyst reports, zz) sources to develop these robust pricing strategies and policies.
- Deliver interchange and network fee solutions and strategies for various products and industries. Support and guide Discover staff through these proposed interchange and network solutions.
- Develop pricing strategies for new and evolving products and services, particularly focusing on tokenization, authentication, fraud management and data services.
- Continuously search for, gather and synthesize external data to enable benchmarking and to inform pricing strategies and policies. Develop a comprehensive database for reference.
- Effectively communicate pricing changes to internal colleagues. Partner with these colleagues to persuasively communicate these pricing changes to issuing and acquiring partners.
- Perform thorough and detailed data analysis in support of the identification of pricing solutions and initiatives to digitize transactions, enhance network data quality, and increase operational efficiency.
- Design and implement industry-leading pricing solutions that support market and regional business strategies.
- Develop and deliver new pricing systems and processes by highlighting opportunities for improvement, overseeing implementation of solutions and through effectively managing development cycles for various Discover and Diners Club International Network initiatives.
- Develop strong, collaborative working relationships with Global Pricing, Operations, International Markets and the Global Acceptance teams.
- Assist in the delivery and implementation of the procedures and business rules required to support stated pricing policies, as well as the documentation and communication of policy both internally and externally.
- Establish, document and formalize processes and controls to drive greater operational efficiencies and excellence for critical initiatives and deliverables. Address risks and opportunities with existing procedures.
- Accountable for pricing strategy and communicating revenue, rates, and fees for respective clients, markets, or management. Drives revenue and manages yield for area of responsibility.
- Leads cross-functional teams to solve business problems using pricing solutions, collaborating, and coordinating with a range of internal stakeholders to make recommendations on a wide range of business issues.
- Formulates mathematical analytics or visual representations of business initiatives/problems, related constants and variables, alternatives, or requirements.
- Creates/Enhances the procedures and business rules required to support stated policy, as well as the documentation and communication of policy both internally and externally.
- Stays abreast of competitive pricing trends used for key initiative and strategies as well as analytics, client and product strategies, and risk assessments.
- Responsible for annual plans, monthly forecasts, and performance tracking for respective area.
At a minimum, here's what we need from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Economics, Pricing, Strategy, Accounting, Business, Marketing, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Pricing, Financial Services, Transaction Processing, Management Consulting, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 10+ years of experience in Pricing, Financial Services, Transaction Processing, Management Consulting, or related field
If we had our say, we'd also look for:
- Master's Degree in Finance, Economics, Pricing, Strategy, Accounting, Business, Marketing, or related field
- 8+ years of experience in Pricing, Financial Services, Transaction Processing, Management Consulting, or related field
- SQL, Teradata
- Strong problem solver with ability to prioritize issues and identify the best solution
- Ability to track record of creativity in problem solving and flexibility in adapting to new requirements as the role evolves.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills-capable and comfortable with developing and providing well-structured communications, presentations, and reporting to all levels of the organization.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills to influence and build credibility as a "peer" with functions.
- Highly proficient in Excel and other spreadsheet tools.
- Extremely strong organization and project management skills. Strong attention to detail.
- Intellectual curiosity related to payments and/or Fintech.
- Ability to effectively move through a matrixed organization.
- Analytical acumen with the ability to effectively synthesize insights from quantitative and qualitative data.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants - with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law) . We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.
Back to top