Lead Software Engineer - Full Stack
- Frimley, United Kingdom
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you'll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you'll do meaningful work you're passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Discover is the fastest growing global payments network and we are looking to hire 100 skilled technology professionals to join our growing UK office. We are carrying out cutting-edge work in the areas of cloud, DevOps, agile and automation. Our digital-first mindset and belief in empowering talented people will provide you with a platform to make a difference.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We're all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
We embrace change and evolution, both in our staff and systems. We are building new payment systems that allows us to utilize modern technologies (Cloud, Big Data, Open Source, Event driven real time processing) and approaches to delivery (Scaled Agile, CI/CD, TDD + BDD) that will enable us to produce software and systems to support our business and adapt to change within the fast paced FinTech world.
We are looking for multiple experienced full stack Developer's/ Engineer's in the UK to join various teams within Discover utilizing an array of tech stack / skill set. The successful candidate(s) will be primarily focused on supporting and guiding the team during all phases of the development life cycle to develop and maintain full stack solutions to fit business needs. Full stack solutions require one or more of the following: front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database and DevOps development. Works directly with business partners to understand business requirements. Works independently or with own team to innovate on and advocate for best practices within the team. Designs complex solutions and leads them from inception to production within the agile team.
- Develops and maintains complex front-ends with a focus on user experience.
- Develops and maintains back-end systems.
- Works with key stakeholders to design complex solutions and lead from inception to production.
- Creates and maintains DevOps processes, application infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models).
- Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved team processes; mentors junior team members.
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity.
- Provide technical clarity on story development (solutions); identify gaps in requirements for consideration by Product Owners; and to ensure that their team deliver Stories and Defects to their Acceptance Criteria as defined, to support the User Story Definition of Ready and Done
- Awareness and understanding of their team's role and deliveries and new feature development
- Writing technical design documentation as required, such as ECD, ICD, HLD, LLD and work flows
- Coding of Data components following Quality process including Code Reviews, Sonarqube standards, writing Unit Test (Junit, Mocks), SIT tests, End-to-End Test as appropriate
- Working with the Platform Leads and other Foundations Tech Leads to ensure the technical solutions align with the Platform Architectural vision Supporting the Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team in their function of running all features through NFR testing to Production, including defect RCA
- Future level 3 support, as required, including some out of hours support
- Provide technical guidance, perform proof of concept for automation
- Provide technical guidance to the scrum team.
- Analyze delivery practices, identify areas of improvements, recommend and implement tools and practices for improvements
- Establish a strong partnership with architecture, software engineering/development, quality engineers and DevOps to enabling effective CI/CD delivery model which is scalable and merit quality
- Provide training to Software Development Engineers, Quality engineers and architect on strategies, standards, tools and processes.
At a minimum, here's what we need from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology or related field , or equivalent professional experience in a related technical field i.e Computer Science or Information Technology
- Demonstrable Lead level software engineering or development experience across the full stack, ideally in a frontend and back end application environment
If we had our say, we'd also look for:
- Full Stack Academy, General Assembly or comparable programs may adequately supplement a non-CS Bachelor's Degree
- 6+ years of software engineering or development experience ideally in a frontend and backend application development environment or related field i.e Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 8+ years' software engineering experience or development experience ideally in a frontend and backend application development environment or related field i.e Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- Self-motivated, Team motivator and Team player
- Awareness of emerging trends in software engineering
- Relevant experience of agile technology teams with applied knowledge of Kanban, Agile Scrum and SAFe
- Hands on coding experience with Java, Python, or another modern language.
- Exposure to modern software development practices and technology stack (see tech stack list below)
- Identify and propose improvements for quality deliverables
- Experience of developing and implementing business critical projects of large scope and technical complexity.
- Possess the judgement to plan and accomplish goals with minimal supervision.
- Clear and effective written and verbal English with the ability to prepare and communicate high level application designs and concepts to management and peers.
Our Tech Stack:
- Spring Framework (Boot)
- React, AngularJS, Bootstrap and Tailwind CSS, Redux, React Testing Library, Cypress, Test Café, Cross Browser Testing, Protractor, Storybook, NodeJS, Express, Okta
- Git/GitHub, Nexus
- Junit, Mockito, Assertj, Wiremock, Cucumber
- Jenkins, Gradle, Ansible and Groovy
- PCF, OCP, Linux, VMware
- Restful API's and microservice architecture
- MariaDB, Postgres
- Apache Geode (GemFire), Redis
- Apache Storm, Kafka, HBase (Highly Available variant)
- HDFS native API and shell commands
- UNIX/Linux (command line and shell scripting)
- IntelliJ, Eclipse or Spring Tool Suite (STS)
- JSON processing and validation
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants - with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.
Back to top