Discord is looking for a highly technical, empathetic, hands-on, and mission-focused Staff Engineer to scale technology and teams focused on Developer Productivity. Leveraging your expertise and passion for delivering high quality products, you’ll equip an all-star engineering organization with tools and technology to move quickly and iterate on product features that bring millions of people together.
As Developer Productivity engineers, we remove friction and focus on delivering compounding leverage across the entire software development lifecycle. Our mission is to seamlessly scale Discord to 1000 engineers and beyond while improving autonomy, velocity, and reliability.
What you'll be doing
- Collaborating with leadership, PMs, and other engineers across the company to build and iterate on a technical roadmap for Discord’s Product development ecosystem.
- Improving existing build, test, and deployment tools or building them from the ground up.
- Pushing the limits and evolving the software development lifecycle alongside an evolving Discord.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other staff-engineers and stakeholders across the organization to ensure technical alignment around yours and other’s vision.
- Coach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Discord.
- Partner with Engineering leadership on strategic planning and continuously improve our systems and processes while upholding our workplace philosophy.
- Automating all of the things!
What you should have
- 7+ years of relevant experience.
- Successfully led a reasonable sized project with a group of 4+ engineers.
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to create alignment with leaders in product, data science, and engineering.
- A deep understanding of and experience with modern client-side frameworks and tools like React, React Native, Typescript, webpack, esbuild, Babel, and Wasm.
- Broad experience with software ecosystems across different platforms (MacOS, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS).
- Broad experience across many domains and technologies and a fearless attitude when diving into something new.
- A passion for building tools and conventions that help others succeed.
- An ability to zoom out and think strategically while knowing when to zoom in on critical details.
- You have shipped products across multiple platforms (web, iOS, and Android).
- You have built open source software integrated by other developers.
- You obsess over and nerd out over your own development workflow (keyboards, dotfiles, editors, window managers, etc.)
New York City only Minimum salary of $214,000/year + equity and benefits
Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law.
Colorado only. Minimum salary of $171,200/year + equity and benefits.
Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20)
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!