Do you have zero tolerance for manual operations? Are you proud of your dotfiles and constantly look for ways to improve your workflow? Do you gravitate towards CI and take pride in shaving off minutes from build times? If any these ring true, then we would love to chat.
As Tools engineers we remove friction and increase leverage across the entire software development lifecycle at Discord. Come join the small and mighty Tools team, where we build primitives that empower engineering teams to accelerate delivery.
What you'll be doing
- Building the core libraries and frameworks that provide a unified tooling ecosystem.
- Collaborating with all engineering teams, learning their pain points, and removing friction.
- Improving our existing build, test, and deploy tools or building them from the ground up.
- Providing fast and stable builds across our entire tech stack using tools like Bazel, Docker, and Webpack.
- Increasing the rate of client-side development by learning and applying new advancements in the dynamic product development landscape.
- Pioneering our container-based development environment, which uses Kubernetes and Docker.
- Creating our next-generation continuous integration and continuous delivery systems.
- Automating all of the things!
What you should have
- 4+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience with CI, build, and deployment technologies like Jenkins, Buildkite, Docker, Kubernetes, Bazel, Packer, and Webpack.
- Deep knowledge of operating systems and the software ecosystems that surround them.
- Experience working on a variety of areas ranging from backend infrastructure and systems programming to full stack projects.
- A passion for building tools that help others succeed.
- Ability to context switch and focus on small and large problems.
- You have experience in specific areas like AI/ML, data, mobile, native, product development, and design.
- Experience with DevOps tools like Salt or Chef and cloud providers like Google Cloud Platform or AWS.
- You have built open source software integrated by other developers.
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance (options for individual and/or family, including One Medical membership for health) and Disability benefits
- Commuter subsidies, healthcare and/or Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- 4 weeks of PTO (alongside 14 paid holidays and use-what-you-need sick days)
- Parental Leave
- Well-being programs, including fitness allowance (we have yoga once a week in our office!)
- 401(K) plans
- Catered lunches Monday-Friday and a fully-stocked kitchen (snacks and beverages galore!)
- Regular company and team social events such as game nights, happy hours and events
- An annual desk fund to make your space truly yours
- Headphone allowance
- Internal Learning and Development workshops to help with continued personal and professional growth
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.