The Machine Learning Team at Discord is focused on creating a state of the art Machine Learning platform that helps Discord scale and become intelligent. We use data-driven approaches, closely follow the latest research and apply cutting-edge ML techniques in order to unlock new possibilities within areas such as trust and safety, user engagement, and revenue growth.
As a Machine Learning Engineer at Discord, you will have the unique opportunity for massive impact as you will directly decide what is the brains and intelligent backbone of projects that enhance the experience for our users while helping Discord scale sustainably. You'll influence key strategic decisions across all Discord product teams by bringing a unique perspective to initiatives while streamlining and evangelizing the application of machine learning at Discord.
If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What you'll be doing
- Build the machine learning platform that empowers our Data Science and Product Engineering teams, powering product features used by millions of users every day.
- Work closely with Data Science and Product Engineering teams to develop and deploy models to production environments.
- Build efficient solutions on top of Google Cloud Platform using Python, Scala, and Rust.
What you should have
- You have 4+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- 4+ years professional experience, or Ph.D in a quantitative field including Computer Science, Physics, Applied Math, Statistics or other quantitative fields.
- Experience building and deploying large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience with languages used for Machine Learning experiment/implementation such as Python and frameworks like PyTorch and TensorFlow.
- Experience or willingness to learn state of the art machine learning paradigms and application of them into areas such as Text Classification, Semantic Modeling, Ranking and Personalization
- You excel in undefined environments, get excited about creating solutions to complex problems, and building on them.
- You are a first principles thinker that can work with others to create pragmatic solutions — and then evolve and generalize them.
- You possess the ability to take a high-level goal and achieve a shippable solution.
Benefits And Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000
for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 19+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO, use-what-you-need sick days and volunteer time off
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Generous stipends for headphones, your remote work setup, and lunch on a daily basis (while we’re all remote)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
In a world of polarization, social curation, and loneliness, Discord is working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider. We believe in the value of genuine human connection, which can so easily be lost online. So we’re building a space where everyone can find belonging from the inside out.
If this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!