It’s bedtime. Candle light bounces off the walls. A cup of half-finished tea cools on the nightstand. The radiator hisses with fire outside your room, the waves of dense, hot air slipping through the crack underneath the door. You let the warmth overcome you, slipping into darkness.
You’re jolted awake. Your phone explodes with incoming messages and panic: Discord is down. You hop out of bed to run to your computer but trip the moment your feet touch the ground and realize with panic that the bottom half of your body is that of a shark’s. You wake up again—for real this time. The sun is shining, birds are chirping. Because you work at Discord now. And Discord never goes down anymore now that you help make it reliable.
What you'll be doing
- Building and running a distributed, worldwide, real-time system that processes millions of events per second
- Writing software in a modern tech stack built on Google's Cloud with Elixir/Erlang, Python, Rust, Go, ScyllaDB/Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, and a hint of C++ where appropriate
- Implementing high-leverage improvements to the reliability, fault tolerance, scalability, and performance of Discord's infrastructure
- Driving forward best practices with your background in Site Reliability Engineering
What you should have
- 4+ years experience working with scalable infrastructures
- Experience designing extensible, reliable real-time systems
- Ability to dive in and debug live production systems
- Self-motivation and curiosity, a passion for your craft
- Excitement about working on a distributed system with millions of concurrent users and writing and deploying code to it without any downtime
- Experience with:
- the Erlang/BEAM VM
- ScyllaDB, Apache Cassandra, or Elasticsearch,
- automation tools like SaltStack
- clouds like Google Cloud Platform/AWS/Azure
- orchestration and containerization technology
- delivering audio/video at scale
- You appreciate some good hygge before bedtime
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.