People love Discord because it connects them with people they care about - friends, family, and communities with shared interests. Tens of millions of users use our world-class audio/video calling, text chat, and collaborative functionality like streaming to communicate every day.
As head of Messaging & Experience Data Science, you will be the data science partner for our 200+ person Engineering org and cross-functional partners like product managers and designers, leveraging machine learning, causal inference, and analytics to guide development of innovative product features, improve application performance, and ensure that Discord is the best service it can be. You’ll also be the main data partner to our People team, working with our Chief People Officer and other top executives to inform recruiting strategy via analytics and predictive modeling.
- Partner closely with product, engineering, and business teams to understand feature adoption, proactively identify opportunities for improvement, and build robust scalable tools to empower decision-making at all levels of the company
- Conduct analysis, build models, and design metrics to understand the impact of audio/video, application, and message performance on the user experience
- Partner with the people team to identify opportunities to improve business operations and recruiting
- Create novel and interpretable metrics to provide insight into the health of the Discord app and use analytics, modeling, and experimentation to understand their impact on the user experience.
- Own the vision and roadmap for the Messaging & Experience Data Science team, partnering with senior executives and leaders to improve decision-making using data
- Build and mentor a world-class full-stack data science org, including multiple teams solving a wide spectrum of challenging product and business challenges
You Have (not hard qualifications - if you're not sure, please apply!):
- 5+ years of leadership experience as a people manager, leading a team of 5+ data scientists and/or analysts. Ideally, your team would have had technical expertise covering at least two of the following: BI analytics, machine learning, and A/B experimentation.
- Experience managing managers or technical leads.
- Excellent skills in communicating to both technical and non-technical audiences, with an ability to explain complex concepts in easy-to-understand ways
- 7+ years of industry experience in applying machine learning and/or analytics techniques to answer vague and challenging business problems
- Proficient in Python/R or SQL (any dialect) for hands-on modeling and/or analysis
- A collaborative attitude and natural curiosity
- Experience with social media and/or messaging applications. Bonus bonus points for familiarity with app performance and A/V concepts, like TTI, quality-of-experience metrics, encoding, etc
- Experience successfully collaborating with a wide variety of stakeholders, e.g. business teams, engineering teams
- Proficient in modern BI tooling (Chartio, Looker, Tableau, etc.), with an eye towards clear, rich visualizations and performance
- Familiarity with A/B testing principles
- Experience mentoring (or even managing!) other managers
- Experience with very large data sets and distributed computing
- Familiarity with Airflow, GCP, BigQuery
- Experience partnering with business teams in a data-driven culture
- Passion for Discord or online communities
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision)
- 18 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.