Outdoor Tech Section Editor
Does going “off the grid” mean you just need to lug along more GoPro batteries? When a store clerk tries to explain the carbon fiber tech in a new mountain bike, do you end up explaining it to him instead? Can you make the case for having a heads-up display, GPS and accelerometers . . . in your ski goggles?
Maybe you have what it takes to edit Digital Trends’ newest section: the great outdoors.
Where the road ends and the trail begins, we believe technology belongs outside just as much as it belongs in the office. Whether it’s helping you navigate, capturing your adventures, or just keeping you dry, we cover the devices that help make the outdoors more fun.
About Digital Trends:
Digital Trends is an online tech and lifestyle website covering everything electronic — from the latest Apple iPad developments to innovations in the world of hybrid-electric vehicles. Our content spans news, expert analysis, guides, in-depth reviews, hands-on videos, and more.
The section editor is the team leader at Digital Trends, shaping coverage in a topic area, hiring and managing writers, and ensuring deep and thorough reporting. As a thought leader in his or her field, the section editor writes opinion pieces and reviews, meets with key manufacturers on a regular basis, and maintains the most important relationships. Broad knowledge of the current tech landscape is a necessity. With this position, Digital Trends aims to expand its coverage into the broader world of tech-related sports and sporting goods, including mountain biking, snowboarding gear, hiking equipment, motorcycles and scooters, powerboats, sport watches, sunglasses, and more. The section editor will identify trends and areas for coverage, with an eye to the overall world of the outdoors.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and maintain expert-level knowledge of the evolving world of outdoor sporting, and how technology impacts it
- Oversee every level of section production from freelance writers to staff writers and editors.
- Identify trends and top-performing articles to shape future editorial efforts.
- Standardize reviews with repeatable benchmarks and procedures.
- Maintain relationships with key manufacturers to ensure timely coverage.
- Hire and train new writers with an eye and ear to quality, speed, and voice.
- Write informed product reviews, thoughtful analysis and pointed opinion pieces.
- Represent Digital Trends within assigned area of expertise on television, radio and in print.
- Provide constructive, forward-looking input to help shape Digital Trends’ editorial standards.
- College degree in journalism or related field preferred.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; able to write in a style that is interesting to the core audience.
- Communication and interpersonal skills. Able to communicate and provide feedback effectively to others.
- Experience working with web content management systems (WordPress preferred) and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Comfortable working with HTML.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively and meet deadlines.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills and attention to detail.
- Photography/videography skills a plus.
- Broad knowledge of the current tech landscape is a necessity.
This job operates primarily in an office environment, but active gear testing means the right candidate will be equally comfortable in a pup tent, on a snowboard, or underwater. This role primarily uses a computer for the completion of work.
Hours / Compensation:
- This is a full-time, salaried-exempt, position
- Competitive compensation DOE
This is NOT a sedentary role. The employee is frequently required to use a keyboard and to sit for periods of time at a desk, but must also be comfortable strapping on a GoPro camera and hiking a trail or testing out a new mountain bike.
What’s in it for you:
- Company paid Tri-Met pass
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability offered
- Fun working environment to include the following in-office amenities: foosball table, big-screen TV’s and theater room, free Redbulls, free espresso, bike racks, shower in-office, laundry machines in-office (while testing them for reviews), full kitchen to include dishes and some food
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit a resume and cover using the form below. Absolutely no phone calls or office drop-ins.
Back to top