Freelance: Apps and Tech Writer
Freelance Writer – Apps and Tech
Digital Trends – Remote
Digital Trends (http://www.digitaltrends.com) is seeking freelance writers with experience writing about apps. The freelance apps writer will write and update lists of best apps on both iOS and Android, as well as interview app creators about interesting new apps for features.
Right now, we’re hunting for app writers to contribute to our Mobile and Wearables tech sections. You’ll write and update lists like Best fitness apps for iPhone, Best apps for book nerds, etc. You will also get the opportunity to interview the creators of interesting apps and write news stories about them.
Flexibility is key. You must be able to find interesting apps to pop in a list that’s fun to read, but also have the chops to interview app creators and write flowing news pieces. We typically pay between $25-$100 for these kinds of articles, though it’s negotiable based on experience and the amount of research that goes into the article.
Here’s how to apply:
- Cover letter with the following info: your background, your areas of interest/experience in tech, and your availability. Attach this to the additional documents area in the application.
- Resume with relevant tech writing or journalism experience.
- Writing samples: Send 3 published clips of your writing. Put these in word documents attached to the “Additional Documents” area in the application
- Other relevant links: Add a link to your LinkedIn profile or your portfolio. (You can add this to your resume, and additional document in the application, or where ever you see fit)
In lieu of published clips, you may also choose to write the following assignment:
- Write up a list of 5 great apps for iOS or Android. It should be something like this: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/best-news-apps/
Broad knowledge of the current tech landscape is a must, and if you don’t know how to use WordPress, you’ll need to learn fast. In time, a solid candidate will earn the option to write occasional feature posts, do live reporting, review products, and contribute regular articles / columns based on hot topics.
Compensation is per article, and negotiable based on experience.
- **Do not apply unless you have considerable experience writing online tech news and can write several hours each week day.
You must know how to fact check, create basic header images for a story, and be self-driven to start new projects. If we’re satisfied with your work, it could develop into a consistent, long-term working relationship with many opportunities down the road.
Job Type: Freelance
- Tech writing: 1 year
- Tech Writing: 1 year
- Journalism: 1 year
Meet Some of Digital Trends's Employees
Sr. Digital Producer
Alana works as a go-between person, collaborating with Digital Trends’ Design and Development Teams. She oversees a variety of projects involving integrated marketing and UI/UX design.
Back to top