Trust & Safety Specialist
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
In 2015, DO became the second largest hosting company in the world. DO has customers from over 196 countries and its first Indian datacenter opened in Bangalore in 2015.
We want people who are passionate about solving problems and protecting the cloud.
DigitalOcean's Trust & Safety team is chartered to safeguard the user experience while providing a stable cloud infrastructure. In addition to facilitating an exceptional customer experience, it is our job to manage and mitigate risk through executing policies and strategies that strengthen the trust between DigitalOcean and our community. We focus on a myriad of areas, including content abuse (e.g. phishing, spam, malware), security (e.g. brute forcing, port scanning), fraud (e.g. identity verification), legal and regulatory (e.g. DMCA, trademark, law enforcement requests), and more. We are looking for an experienced and goal-oriented colleague to join our team in Bangalore.
We’re looking for motivated candidates who are passionate about technologies we use, and who have demonstrated a history of excelling in a work environment. As the voice of the customer, you have the opportunity to influence product decisions while helping to build the next great cloud company! This is a full-time position based out of Bangalore, India and will require occasional travel to our office in New York for training, team building, and company events.
With over 200,000 customers utilizing 10+ datacenters and 10,000+ hypervisors every day, our Trust & Safety Specialists never lose sight of the role we play in making the internet a more secure place for everyone. It’s a challenging and rewarding position in which you’ll have the opportunity to handle sensitive data, onboard customers to DigitalOcean and handle abuse tickets. This role involves creative problem-solving techniques, and either experience with Linux and abuse prevention techniques or the strong desire to learn them.
What You’ll Be Working On:
- Responding to a high volume of verification, billing, and technical abuse tickets
- Proactively identifying ongoing abuse within our platform and take appropriate action
- Working with confidential and highly sensitive abuse complaints
- Conducting digital investigations to determine patterns of abuse and fraud
- Quickly learning DigitalOcean systems and adapting to rapid changes
- Working both collaboratively and independently within a team setting (we love Slack!)
- Identifying and communicating process and policy improvement suggestions
- Incident management and escalation
- Collaborating with other teams and departments to improve customer safety and stability
- Willingness to work in a 24x7 setting (nights and weekends)
- Bonus: knowledge of coding, passion for open source technologies, experience dealing with abuse and security issues in a hosting environment
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- A strong interest in and experience with technology and mitigating online abuse
- An inquisitive nature and ability to perform extensive investigations of fraud and abuse
- Knowledge or interest in on-going online abuse trends and patterns
- Experience with Linux and other open source projects
- Experience with databases and writing complex queries
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to quickly identify trends and patterns
- Extremely positive attitude with a desire to keep our customers, and the internet, safe
- Ability to stay calm under pressure; comfortable in high-stress situations
Why You'll Like Working at DigitalOcean:
- Because we have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- Because we value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- Because we care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- Because we invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- Because we want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- Because we value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
Director, Employee Experience
Jessica is responsible for running the DigitalOcean office. She oversees recruiting and onboarding and ensures that every employee feels fulfilled and supported throughout their time at DigitalOcean.
Back to top