Technical Writer: Infrastructure
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about publishing tutorials that your peers will love.
We are looking for a talented and enthusiastic writer for a new function at DigitalOcean! DigitalOcean has already built out a library of open source-focused tutorials and articles and now we are interested in bringing that same level of clarity and care to a new audience of potential customers. This person will be working very closely across the Marketing department to educate users on DigitalOcean product best practices, distributed computing, and server architecture through a variety of different content channels: use cases, white papers, in person and online workshops, and videos.
This role is an opportunity for someone with a technical background, interested in teaching and marketing, to influence and inform the stylistic direction of this new kind of content. The ideal candidate should be enthusiastic about helping others, clear communication, and be able deliver content in a variety of ways (video, in person, written, etc) as well as be highly collaborative. They will be working with the Product, Brand, Demand Generation, Sales, and Community teams.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Creating highly technical product walkthroughs, videos, and workshops covering DigitalOcean product usage and specific use cases for potential large scale customers to support marketing initiatives
- Documenting new DigitalOcean product releases and maintaining product documentation as features evolve
- Working collaboratively with in-house writers and external writers to produce content on a variety of topics related to distributed infrastructure
- Editing content written by external contributors, sales engineers, etc
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Strong background with technology and Linux systems
- Experience with highly available infrastructure architecture
- Strong research skills and ability to pick up new technical concepts quickly
- Experience writing for a technical audience on cloud computing concepts (can be formal or informal experience)
- Exceptional written and verbal English communication skills
- Experience working with documentation of in-process software
- Experience working closely with product marketing teams is a plus
- Experience writing and producing screencasts is a plus
Why You'll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
From social media to content creation to hosting community events, Etel and her team focus on finding out what works best in DigitalOcean’s dev communities—and what new things they want in the future.
Back to top