Technical Writer: DevOps or Development (Multiple Openings)
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about publishing tutorials that your peers will love.
The Technical Writing Team raises awareness of DigitalOcean within the greater developer community by contributing approachable, education focused, high quality articles on a variety of DevOps, system administration, development, and DO product topics. DigitalOcean articles consistently showcase the team’s care through their writing, technical understanding, topic flexibility, and output.
We are a growing team and are looking to bring on new and talented writers for a variety of challenging, technical positions. All of the DigitalOcean writers are united by a strong technical background, an interest in teaching, and helping readers and creating the most useful content possible. We do this across a variety of verticals including:
- Linux System Administration
- Infrastructure Architecture
If you feel that you have the background and knowledge for a technical writing position, we’d love to talk to you and see where there’s a fit!
What You'll Be Doing:
- Producing and evaluating topic ideas for future technical articles
- Researching to establish a working knowledge of each topic
- Maintaining existing articles by updating content where appropriate
- Coordinating with other team members to ensure topic coverage while avoiding overlap
- Participating in Community initiatives (feature launch prep work, strategic tasks, etc.)
- Assisting other teams with documentation and non-documentation tasks
- Depending on the role:
- Writing and editing articles on open-source topics for the DigitalOcean Community
- Working collaboratively across the DigitalOcean marketing team and with in-house writers and external writers to produce content on a variety of topics related to distributed infrastructure
- Creating coding-focused learning tracks and written materials
What We'll Expect From You:
- At least ONE of the following is required:
- Deep understanding of Linux Server Administration, including experience with multiple linux distributions, understanding the basics of multi-server infrastructure and networking concepts, and experience with application set up and deployment
- Experience with large production server deployments
- You must have excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Strong research skills and ability to pick up new technical concepts quickly
- Experience working closely with marketing teams is a plus
- Experience writing and producing screencasts is a plus
Why You'll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
Director, Employee Experience
Jessica oversees a wide spectrum of responsibilities related to the professional lives of DigitalOcean employees, ensuring that every team member enjoys an engaging and comfortable work environment.
Back to top