Our Community team educates and engages with millions of individuals throughout the world; we curate and produce a rich collection of helpful tutorials (do.co/tutorials) for developers and system administrators and evangelize emerging open source technologies.
We are looking for a skilled editor/educator to publish project-based tutorials to teach the open-source community about Python development from the ground up! You’ll be focusing on content that can help coders bridge the gap from programming boot camps to employment-ready coding skills.
The Editor's job is to select, review, and publish submissions from external authors in the DigitalOcean Community (https://www.digitalocean.com/community). The topics selected should help teach our community how to code in Python and leave our readers with approachable, practical Python projects when they successfully complete a tutorial. The Editor will be able to rely on pre-written materials that explain basic programming concepts, so you can focus on complete programs starting at the beginner level and advancing in sophistication, with a focus on intermediate difficulty.
The ideal candidate will have a hybrid background in development and writing/editing. The Editor will have a good sense for selecting coding project topics from among community submissions, that will appeal to the open-source community and coders of all levels.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Evaluating writing samples for technical accuracy and writing quality
- Evaluating proposed tutorial topics for interest to the open-source community, value in teaching readers how to code at different levels of technical difficulty, and practical utility
- Delivering editorial notes to help authors improve the technical details and quality of writing in each tutorial
- Publishing tutorials about real world projects in Python and, eventually, additional development languages
- Maintaining existing articles by updating content where appropriate
- Providing technical and non-technical feedback to other editors
- Assisting other teams with editorial and non-editorial tasks, like blog posts and case studies
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Comfort with maintaining author relationships
- 2+ years of development experience in Python
- Some Linux experience (should be able to deploy projects and navigate the command line)
- Formal or informal experience with teaching or mentoring developers
- Experience or interest in instructional writing
- Previous book publishing experience
- Understanding of modern deployment techniques, including containers, automated deployment, continuous integration/testing, and load balancing
- Familiarity with distributed systems
- Familiarity with developer interests and culture
Example projects you might review and publish:
- Automating common tasks with Python
- Command-line and GUI calculators
- Website development with a framework like Django
- Application development at all levels of complexity
- Game development with a framework like Pygame
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- Because we have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- Because we value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- Because we care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- Because we invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- Because we want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- Because we value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top