Staff Engineer: Compute
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the Cloud?
DigitalOcean is on a mission to simplify cloud infrastructure for the millions of software developers around the world. We are a small, distributed, and cohesive team. At DigitalOcean, every single engineer has a massive impact on the organization and product, and we want to keep it that way. We believe in autonomy for teams and individuals.
Ultimately, we want you to be passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
As a Staff Engineer on the Compute team, you will be architecting systems that span our global infrastructure network. You will define the next generation of cloud services, making developers' lives (both inside DO and in the 'wild') easier by building new services to power the hypervisor, placement, database and event systems. This is a unique opportunity to deliver the best hosted infrastructure experience in the industry to millions of developers around the world.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Drive architecture for complex products by determining current limitations and coming up with solutions
- Design and architect large scale systems
- Mentor and coach less experienced members of the Engineering org
- Ship multiple large services and major pieces of infrastructure
- Multiply the effectiveness of others by facilitating cross-team work
- Sets short to medium-term strategic technical direction, able to look ahead 6-12 months and identify the areas of greatest need and create plans to improve them.
Technologies we use:
- Go, Perl, Libvirt, Virtio, KVM, Open vSwitch, GRPC, MySQL, Chef, Git
What We'll Expect From You:
- 11+ years of software development experience
- Significant experience as a software engineer, developer, or programmer building software used by 1000s of users
- Expertise with at least one of the following languages: Go, Perl, Ruby, Python, C/C++, Java
- Experience with large scale distributed systems programming
- Passion for mentoring and coaching other members on your team
- Record of creating sweeping improvements in stability, performance and scalability across major business-critical systems
- Experience with at least one configuration management system like Chef, Ansible and/or Puppet
- Deep understanding and knowledge of virtualization (such as libvirt, KVM, QEMU, Namespaces and Containers)
- Deep understanding of Linux
- Strong opinions, weakly held
Working at DigitalOcean:
- DigitalOcean offers competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for both employees and their dependents
- Competitive compensation including a 401k with up to 4% employer match
- Flexible vacation time
- Stock options
- Daily catered lunch as well as a corporate Seamless account to keep your hunger at bay
- Monthly commuter expense and gym membership allowance
- Great office space located in the heart of SoHo
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top