Staff Engineer: Cloud Networking
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
As a Staff Engineer on the Cloud Engineering - Network (SWE - NET) team, you will be architecting systems that span our global infrastructure network across multiple global Datacenter sites. You will take ownership for large software components, work with product on customer facing requirements and apply your knowledge to functional design, utilizing your programming skills for efficient and robust implementations. You will be responsible for building the next generation of networking on our platform: providing flexible, yet simple, primitives that our customers have come to love. This job can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC and Cambridge, MA.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Drive the design, architecture, and implementation of large scale software projects as defined by our product roadmap for the team.
- Define, architect and develop network platform software for our next generation core routers
- Drive architectural decisions for complex products by determining current limitations and coming up with unique and innovative solutions
- Setting strategic technical direction by looking ahead, applying forward thinking solutions and identifying areas for improvement, creating plans to improve and execute upon them.
- Mentor and coach less experienced members of the team.
- Shipping multiple large services, fundamental libraries or major pieces of network infrastructure.
- Multiplying the effectiveness of others by facilitating cross-team work with other teams in specifically Cloud Engineering and Engineering at large.
- Use Go, Perl, C/C++, KVM, Open vSwitch, OpenFlow, GRPC, MySQL, Chef & Git as part of our tech stack.
What We'll Expect From You:
- 12+ years of experience as a software engineer, developer, or programmer building large scale software for networking products.
- At least 3+ years experience with architecting products, systems and providing technical direction to teams.
- Expertise with at least one of the following languages: Go, Perl, Python, C/C++, Java, Ruby
- Experience with specific networking fields such as firewalls, IPv4/IPv6, and various tunneling protocols
- Deep understanding of the network stack, TCP/IP, and low level packet/frame architecture
- A strong understanding of flexible database architecture.
- Strong understanding of SDN concepts
- Deep understanding of Linux
- Familiarity with virtualization technologies (libvirt, KVM, QEMU, Namespaces and Containers)
- Experience with various L2/L3 networking protocols preferred
- Someone who is a great teammate with a can-do attitude who can take initiative.
- Some who has a proven track record of creating sweeping improvements in stability, performance, and scalability across major business-critical systems
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- Because we have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- Because we value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- Because we care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- Because we invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- Because we want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- Because we value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
Director, Employee Experience
Jessica is responsible for running the DigitalOcean office. She oversees recruiting and onboarding and ensures that every employee feels fulfilled and supported throughout their time at DigitalOcean.
Back to top