Software Engineer: Security
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about making the internet a safer place for everyone.
As a Software Engineer on the Security team, you will work with internal and customer facing teams to build secure by default services and applications. You will create and maintain services and libraries to perform security sensitive operations, and integrate security testing into our continuous delivery pipelines. You’ll be expected to find innovative ways bring security-focused products to our internal organization, and our customers. Our customers trust us with their data and operations, and we take that responsibility seriously.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Build and maintain security platforms and services, for both internal and external use.
- Develop and deploy security capabilities at scale, using languages such as Go and Ruby, and tools such as Kubernetes, Docker, and Chef.
- Research and design automated approaches to reducing the risk of fraud, abuse, and misuse of the DigitalOcean products and services.
- Partner with engineering teams to make sure that we deliver an excellent and secure workflow spanning development, deployment, and production monitoring.
- Design customer-impacting security applications and services that advance DigitalOcean’s ability to help our customers improve their security posture.
- Work with product and engineering teams to design and implement secure architectures.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to advise on remediation to insecure code and libraries.
- Consistently improve security as the platform scales, driving continuous improvement through data collection and correlation, being mindful that security should be an efficiency enabler for the business - not a detractor.
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Software engineering experience (you can write robust code with good test coverage and can point to specific examples of projects you’ve successfully delivered in the past)
- A high degree of curiosity, with a clear passion around security as a lifestyle.
- You approach each problem with a degree of creativity that incorporates previous internal/external approaches as a data point, not a rulebook.
- Interest in security and a desire to build secure by default services and applications
- Expertise with at least one of the following languages: Go, Ruby, Python, C/C++, Java
- A working knowledge of cluster management tools like Kubernetes or Mesos
- A professional track record of success in shipping well engineered, tested, and observable code
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
Director, Employee Experience
Jessica oversees a wide spectrum of responsibilities related to the professional lives of DigitalOcean employees, ensuring that every team member enjoys an engaging and comfortable work environment.
Back to top