Software Engineer: Observability
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who care about building features that you and your peers will love.
As a software engineer on the Observability team you’ll help teams dive into how our sea of services operates in production. We are a small, cohesive team focused on creating visibility into our infrastructure. This position can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC or in Cambridge, MA.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Designing, writing and running the systems that provide visibility into how our cloud is operating and performing to teams throughout the company
- Providing guidance to other engineers on how they can best utilize our systems to gain confidence that their services are performing as expected
- Collaborating with other teams on how we can improve our systems to provide the visibility they need into theirs
- Researching emerging tools, trends and methodologies and enhancing existing systems and processes
- Working with interesting technologies such as Prometheus, Mesos, Go, Docker, Kafka, Elasticsearch, Cassandra and more
- Contributing back to the open source software that we rely on
What We'll Expect From You:
- A good concept of scale and a desire to help create and run highly reliable and performant distributed services
- An ability to work at multiple levels of the stack
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: metrics and logging libraries and aggregators, message queuing, horizontally scalable data stores, configuration management, distributed schedulers, microservices, data analysis and visualization tools
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: Go, C/C++, Java, Python, Ruby, and/or Perl
- A love for data driven decision making
- An ability to work well as part of a distributed team
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- Because we have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- Because we value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- Because we care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- Because we invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- Because we want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- Because we value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
Director, Employee Experience
Jessica is responsible for running the DigitalOcean office. She oversees recruiting and onboarding and ensures that every employee feels fulfilled and supported throughout their time at DigitalOcean.
Back to top