Senior Software Engineer: Storage
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
DigitalOcean’s Storage Team builds and runs cloud-scale distributed storage services powering internal and customer-facing services and products. We’re creating flexible and powerful storage solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly and easily as possible. We’re looking for senior engineers throughout the backend, from the filesystem and networking layers to end-user API design and implementation.
What You'll Be Doing:
- First and foremost, working as part of a team shipping powerful storage solutions
- Evaluating and deploying distributed block and object stores
- Building orchestration and APIs in front of petabyte-scale storage clusters
What We’ll Expect From You:
- 8+ years experience as a software engineer, developer, or programmer
- Strong experience with distributed storage systems such as Ceph, GlusterFS, etc
- Proficiency in languages like Go, Ruby and C++/C
- Proficiency with the use of datastores like MySQL, ZooKeeper, and/or Redis, etc
- Production experience with Docker and other container technologies
- Deep understanding of block/object storage technologies and their integration points with virtualization tools
- Passion and experience shipping well-engineered and tested code
- Bonus: Experience with Mesos and other cloud orchestration and deployment tools
- Bonus: Experience with configuration management tools such as Chef
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- Because we have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- Because we value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- Because we care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- Because we invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- Because we want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- Because we value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top