Senior Software Engineer: Product Engineering
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the Cloud?
DigitalOcean is on a mission to simplify cloud infrastructure for the millions of software developers around the world. We are a small, distributed, and cohesive team. At DigitalOcean, every single engineer has a massive impact on the organization and product, and we wan to keep it that way. We believe in autonomy for teams and individuals, and that's why we like to work with people who have an area of expertise but either already have or are willing to learn skills needed by their teams to deliver the best product in small, frequent increments.
Ultimately, we want you to be passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
Our systems make our users' lives simple by letting them deploy, scale, and manage their operations with a simple call to our API. As a software engineer focused on the back-end, you will build and own the services that power this cloud.
You will join a team of engineers experienced in the construction of distributed architectures using microservices. The bulk of your work will be in Go and Ruby, but you will use other technologies and platforms relevant to your team's work.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Join an end-to-end team, responsible for all aspects of a given product or platform
- Design, build and own various services and APIs, from their conception to production and maintenance
- Work in a business domain you already know and are passionate about
- Own the operations, performance, and reliability of the services developed by your team
- Solve unique problems as you cross the border between product and infrastructure
What We'll Expect From You:
- You have some experience in distributed application architecture technologies
- You have extensively used some form of RPC (e.g. grpc, REST, SOAP, ProtocolBuffers, Thrift)
- Strong opinions, weakly held
Why You'll Like Working at DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
From social media to content creation to hosting community events, Etel and her team focus on finding out what works best in DigitalOcean’s dev communities—and what new things they want in the future.
Back to top