Senior Software Engineer: Network
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
As a software engineer on the Cloud Engineering - Network (SWE - NET) team, the software you write will run on tens of thousands of hypervisors across our global infrastructure network. You will be responsible for building the next generation of networking on our platform: providing flexible, yet simple, primitives that our customers have come to love.
What you'll be doing:
- Driving the design and implementation of the overlay network that supports how droplets interact with each other and the outside world
- Building exciting new features that will enable developers to build highly available, robust, and secure services
- Working closely with the network engineering team to build and support a performant and flexible software network architecture
- Maintaining and ensuring a high standard for reliability and availability across multiple datacenters
- Evolving our existing architecture and codebases to support building flexible networking capabilities both internally and for the product
- Using technologies and tools such as: Open vSwitch, Go, Perl, MySQL, Libvirt, KVM, chef, git
What we'll expect from you:
- 8+ years experience as a software engineer, developer, or programmer
- Expertise with at least one of the following languages: Go, Perl, Python, C/C++
- Experience building reliable, maintainable, and tested software across large deployments
- Deep understanding of the network stack, TCP/IP, and low level packet/frame architecture
- Strong understanding of flexible database architecture / SQL
- Familiarity with SDN concepts
- Familiarity with virtualization technologies (libvirt, KVM, QEMU, Namespaces and Containers)
- Deep understanding of Linux
- Bonus: Background in network engineering
- Bonus: Participated in previous SDN implementation/rollout
Why you'll like working at DigitalOcean:
- Because we have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- Because we value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- Because we care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- Because we invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- Because we want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- Because we value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status
Back to top