Senior Software Engineer: Data
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
As a Senior Engineer on the Data team, you'll work with amazing teams across the organization, giving them a smooth runway with respect to their data needs. You'll apply a variety of technologies from relational databases to message buses to key/value stores. You'll button it all up, nice and neat, leveraging best practices so that each service is stable and monitored. Above all, you'll be part of a fledgling team, contributing to the founding principles and methods thereof, all to make developers' lives easier. This job can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC and Cambridge, MA.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Work closely with software, network, and platform engineering to ensure data systems are scalable, resilient, and predictable.
- Track, monitor, and visualize performance of the databases at the core of our infrastructure.
- Evaluate and qualify databases, message queues, consensus systems for use in DigitalOcean's cloud.
- Build a deep understanding of how our systems operate under ideal conditions as well as failure cases and how to react to them.
- Contribute to tooling and incident response procedures to enable and empower our technical operations team.
- Offer data structure/service guidance based on best practices.
What We'll Expect From You:
- Experience building large scale, replicated distributed system setups is required.
- Expertise with at least two of the following data systems: MySQL, HBase, PostgreSQL, Zookeeper, Kafka, ElasticSearch, Redis.
- Experience optimizing complex queries and designing large schemas.
- Experience with configuration management.
- Fundamental understanding of data storage systems on both the practical and academic/data structure side.
- Knowledge of MySQL DBs a big plus.
- Familiarity with monitoring and debugging large, global, distributed systems is a plus.
- Familiarity with one of the following languages: Ruby, Python, Go, C/C++, or Java. C/C++. Java, or Go is a plus.
Why You'll Like Working at DigitalOcean:
- Because we have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- Because we value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- Because we care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- Because we invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- Because we want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- Because we value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
Director, Employee Experience
Jessica is responsible for running the DigitalOcean office. She oversees recruiting and onboarding and ensures that every employee feels fulfilled and supported throughout their time at DigitalOcean.
Back to top