Senior Research Scientist
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about building features you and your peers will love
We are looking for research scientists across multiple fields (Machine Learning, Computer Vision, HCI, IR, Recommender Systems, NLP, Cloud). As a member of the new Research and Development organization, you’ll be working closely with engineers, product managers, and designers in a fast growing startup environment to perform research for internal projects. You will be helping to build applications that benefit our quickly growing user base of over 1 million developers worldwide.
You’ll have an amazing opportunity to help us address challenging problems in each of the areas above- from using Machine Learning across every aspect of what we do internally (e.g., optimizing our quickly growing 12 data center infrastructure, customer support, security, abuse, etc.), to performing HCI research (e.g., to better understand our users, develop better user experiences, define the future of software development), to improving our community portal (NLP, IR, ML, and Recommender Systems), and to build new products and services in high-demand areas (e.g., all of the Computer Vision and ML services that applications could leverage.)
You will have the opportunity to help us develop the latest technologies, working with engineers to translate them to implementations that have significant impact on the business and the developer community. We’re building next generation tools to make it as simple as possible for developers to create and deploy software and applications at scale. You’ll play a significant role in defining what those tools will look like in the future, being extremely creative and user-focused. Most importantly of all, you’ll help empower our users by giving them access to the latest technology and algorithms anywhere!
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Advancing the state-of-the-art in your respective field (Machine Learning, Computer Vision, HCI, IR, Recommender Systems, NLP, Cloud), applying the results internally and having an impact in the developer community.
- Contributing to the research and developer communities by publishing, talking about your work, and participating in relevant conferences (in organizing committees, etc).
- Working with research engineers, product managers, and designers to help get relevant research into production.
- Work independently, while effectively leveraging and working with the rest of the team to ensure a smooth transition from research to production.
- The ability to work on a mix of short-, medium-, and long term research projects.
- You’ll help us define the future of software development and deployment at scale here at DO.
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field.
- An outstanding research track record with publications in the top tier conferences in your particular field (CVPR, ICCV, NIPS, ICML, CHI, UIST, RecSys, KDD, WWW, CIKM, ACL, SIGIR, AAAI, CLOUD, etc.).
- Exceptional communication skills, with the creativity and enthusiasm for advancing innovation and translating research to real world applications.
- Experience in transferring research results to production at scale.
- Experience in Deep Learning.
- Experience in A/B testing.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
From social media to content creation to hosting community events, Etel and her team focus on finding out what works best in DigitalOcean’s dev communities—and what new things they want in the future.
Back to top