Senior Engineer: Network Services
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
As a software engineer on the Network team, the software you write will run on tens of thousands of hypervisors across our global infrastructure network. You will be responsible for building the next generation of networking on our platform: providing flexible, yet simple, primitives that our customers have come to love.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Solving problems with distributed patterns to reduce bottlenecks, single points of failures and inter-dependencies of our many regions.
- Designing and building sets of highly efficients micro-services to enable new features and internal toolings around the virtual network stack.
- Diving deep into the ocean of highly available & fault-tolerant virtual networking.
- Participating in a team effort to harden our visibility on various network metrics.
- Using technologies and tools such as: OpenVSwitch, Go, Perl, Consul, SQL, Chef, Git, Jira, Sentry, Prometheus, Docker, Ansible and others!
What We'll Expect From You:
- Expertise with at least two of the following languages: Go, Perl, Python, C/C++
- Understanding of the OSI model Layer 4 and above
- Understanding of flexible and scalable database architecture
- Ability to self-organize and clearly communicate intents
- Bonus: Background in real-time network stats collection
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
Director, Employee Experience
Jessica oversees a wide spectrum of responsibilities related to the professional lives of DigitalOcean employees, ensuring that every team member enjoys an engaging and comfortable work environment.
Back to top