Senior Engineer: Compute
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the Cloud?
DigitalOcean is on a mission to simplify cloud infrastructure for the millions of software developers around the world. We are a small, distributed, and cohesive team. At DigitalOcean, every single engineer has a massive impact on the organization and product, and we want to keep it that way. We believe in autonomy for teams and individuals.
Ultimately, we want you to be passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
As a Senior Engineer on the Compute team, the software you write will run on tens of thousands of hypervisors across our global infrastructure. You will define the next generation of cloud services, making developers' lives (both inside DO and in the 'wild') easier by building new services that improve our efficiency and also provide important new features for our customers. If your passion is Distributed Systems, this is the right job for you. This role can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC and Cambridge, MA.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Build the services that build Droplets (our customer’s VM instances)
- Design, implement, test and optimize new services that run at scale and solve challenging distributed coordination problems.
- Work with our product teams to build the next generation of products and services for our developers community.
- Drive architecture for complex products by determining current limitations and coming up with solutions
Technologies We Use:
- Go, Perl, Libvirt, Virtio, KVM, Open vSwitch, GRPC, MySQL, Chef, Git
What We'll Expect From You:
- Significant experience as a software engineer, developer, or programmer building software used by 1000s of users
- Expertise with at least one of the following languages: Go, Perl, Ruby, Python, C/C++, Java
- Experience with large scale distributed systems programming
- Passion for mentoring and coaching other members on your team
- Record of creating sweeping improvements in stability, performance and scalability across major business-critical systems
- Experience with at least one configuration management system like Chef, Ansible and/or Puppet
- Deep understanding and knowledge of virtualization (such as libvirt, KVM, QEMU, Namespaces and Containers)
- Deep understanding of Linux
- Strong opinions, weakly held
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- Because we have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- Because we value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- Because we care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- Because we invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- Because we want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- Because we value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
From social media to content creation to hosting community events, Etel and her team focus on finding out what works best in DigitalOcean’s dev communities—and what new things they want in the future.
Back to top