DigitalOcean provides the simplest experience to launch and maintain your server infrastructure online. As the company grows, we’re building a performant and feature-rich platform, fully stocked with the features developers need to build great software.
Everyone at DigitalOcean values and trusts the power of user-centered design. Our mission is to create products that'll make development way more enjoyable and less frustrating. We're a close-knit, collaborative, and light-hearted team. We are committed to making each other grow as designers, and be more impactful with the designs we make. This role requires being based in our NY office.
We're Looking For Someone Who Has:
- Taken a product from conception all the way through to release.
- Helped to improve key metrics in your previous employers business.
- Developed a product experience strategy.
- Used heuristics and design principles to help refine design decisions and prioritize work.
- Led design & research team(s) through a product lifecycle.
- Spoken at events and writes articles to engage, lead, and advance the design community.
- Demonstrated repeated use of research methods through a product lifecycle to both get to the right design and get the design right.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Leading design to help build DigitalOcean into a robust cloud host that is simple, friendly, beautiful, and powerful for application developers.
- Running collaborative sessions to facilitate creativity, problem framing, and alignment of strategic direction.
- Contributing to high-level strategy in collaboration with our executive, product, and engineering teams.
- Discovering insights through continuous customer, user, and stakeholder engagement.
- Testing your designs with users. Iterating on your designs when they don't work.
- Owning your own product area.
- Participating in daily design reviews with the Product Design team.
- Rapidly prototyping interactions and experiences.
- Collaborating with designers and developers to manage, curate, and expand our design system.
- Hanging out with your team! :)
What We'll Expect From You:
- You have professional experience designing transactional productivity applications.
- You think in terms of design systems.
- You make rational design decisions supported by design theory, research data, business goals, and team principles.
- You have an inherent talent for creating simple, clear solutions.
- You stress the details and care about creating truly delightful experiences.
- You have good taste and an eye for color, space, and typography.
- You are a storyteller and influencer who explores the possible.
- You're up to date regarding the latest web design and technology trends.
- You understand how to work with developers and how to build for them.
- You work well within a team. You're opinionated yet humble and always looking to grow.
- You're a self starter who thrives most when owning a project and running with it.
- You are curious, and like to learn about new things.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our offices to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in our New York or Cambridge office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
From social media to content creation to hosting community events, Etel and her team focus on finding out what works best in DigitalOcean’s dev communities—and what new things they want in the future.
Back to top