Platform Operations Engineer
DigitalOcean is on a mission to simplify cloud infrastructure for the millions of software developers around the world. Engineers at DigitalOcean have a direct impact on the cloud technology that their peers in the developer community leverage every single day. This is a unique opportunity to join a rapidly growing company that is striving to build something meaningful for the Engineering community.
As a Platform Operations Engineer you will architect the systems, software, and servers to keep our data centers running. You’ll build automation and systems management tools that make it easier to scale our rapidly growing business and deliver cloud infrastructure all around the world. You’ll also work on improving DigitalOcean’s systems performance and reliability. You should have a passion for systems, big data, network, and software engineering and you will work closely with other teams throughout the engineering organization. This position can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC or Cambridge, MA.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Top tier of escalation for infrastructure troubleshooting
- Supporting / Engineering large Mesos cluster
- Write software to automate hardware provisioning, management, and other tasks that can could be automated
- Create new tools and improve on existing tools to help automate tasks for the Platform Team and other teams in the organization
- Maintain and improve service quality and reliability across our complex set of services
- Work closely with network, software, and cloud operations engineers to build efficient and economical systems
- Communicate with vendors to debug and fix drivers and firmware
What We'll Expect From You:
- Expertise with one of the following languages: Go, Ruby, Python, C/C++
- Understanding of big data technologies such as Mesos, Spark, Kubernetes
- Experience with configuration management and hardware automation
- Experience monitoring and debugging large, global, distributed systems
- Experience in writing tools to manage 10,000+ physical servers
- Passion for continual incremental improvements on tooling / processes
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
Things We Would Look For In An Ideal Candidate:
- Languages: Go, Python
- Tools: Chef, Ansible, Prometheus, MySQL, KVM, libvirt, git
- Big Data Experience: Mesos, Spark, HDFS, Presto
- Infrastructure Bootstrapping: PXE, Live Images, Cobbler
- Commitment to open source tooling and open source contributions
Why You'll Like Working at DigitalOcean:
- Because we have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- Because we value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- Because we care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- Because we invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- Because we want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- Because we value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
Director, Employee Experience
Jessica is responsible for running the DigitalOcean office. She oversees recruiting and onboarding and ensures that every employee feels fulfilled and supported throughout their time at DigitalOcean.
Back to top