Platform Operations Engineer
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about solving complex systems, storage, bit data, and network problems with a focus on hardware based solutions.
We are looking for an engineer to help the Platform team solve complex hardware problems. These solutions involve helping pick / test next generation hardware, build out systems to help bootstrap equipment, and coordinate with vendors to resolve hardware bugs that may arise. Reporting to the Manager of Platform Engineering, the Platform Operations Engineer will architect the systems, software, and servers that keep our data centers running. You’ll build automation and systems management tools that make it easier to scale our rapidly growing business and deliver cloud infrastructure all around the world. You’ll also work on improving DigitalOcean’s systems performance and reliability.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Escalation point for hardware troubleshooting
- Take point on operations procedures for testing / qualifying new infrastructure for DigitalOcean products
- Qualify multiple vendors / components for each DigitalOcean product that requires hardware
- Help identify hardware bottlenecks and make suggestions on constant improvements concerning hardware in the Infrastructure
- Write software to automate hardware testing
- Create new tools and improve on existing tools to help automate tasks for the Platform Team and other teams in the organization, specifically with hardware and / or firmware focus
- Work closely with our Infrastructure Architect to determine next generation hardware needs
- Communicate with vendors to debug and fix drivers and firmware
What We'll Expect From You:
- Expertise with one or more of the following languages: Go, Ruby, Python, C/C++
- Worked with / Passion for Enterprise Hardware
- Experience with configuration management and hardware automation
- Chef, Ansible, CMDB experience a plus
- Experience monitoring and debugging large, global, distributed systems
- Experience in writing tools to manage physical servers at scale
- Live image / Infrastructure bootstrapping with tools like Cobbler or MaaS
- Passion for continual incremental improvements on tooling / processes
- Experience working with Dell, HP, other enterprise hardware vendors
- Opencompute experience big plus
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
From social media to content creation to hosting community events, Etel and her team focus on finding out what works best in DigitalOcean’s dev communities—and what new things they want in the future.
Back to top