Manager, Engineering: Cloud Storage
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
DigitalOcean’s Cloud Storage team is seeking a highly motivated and experienced technical engineering manager to support our engineers and engineering culture, most specifically leading the team developing our software defined Storage products. This person will be responsible for aiding career development, motivating and monitoring engineers, working with engineering leads to evaluate an engineer’s performance, providing coaching, and counseling as needed.
We are looking for someone with a great understanding of teams and process, who will be accountable for the engineering team’s performance and quality. You will also manage the recruitment, selection, and retention of the team as we continue to grow and scale. This role reports into the Director of our Cloud Storage Engineering pillar and can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC and Cambridge, MA.
What You’ll Be Working On:
- Recruiting, managing, and maintaining a world-class engineering team
- Responsible for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects related to storage
- Collaborating with technical leads and contributing to the overall architecture, design, and development of core projects related to storage
- Managing software project schedules using various life cycle approaches (we are an Agile-lite shop) and related methodologies using a variety of tools
- Building and developing processes to continuously improve engineering performance and quality
- Working with the product team to ensure successful product and feature rollouts including requirement analysis, capture, and documentation
- Collaborating with cross functional groups to deliver and maintain a world class Cloud Storage platform.
- Supporting the professional goals and development opportunities for the entire team.
- Boosting communication and facilitating ongoing continuous feedback loops between engineers and the engineering leads
- Providing coaching and counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc
- Monitoring and reviewing each engineer's progress related to development goals and KPIs
- Organizing regular performance appraisals
- Planning and executing relevant training for the engineering team
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Direct experience with managing, coaching, and mentoring software engineers
- Domain expertise in Storage stack and having shipped products at scale with a strong customer focus. Working knowledge of Ceph or OpenStack is desired but not required.
- Proven track record of managing and delivering projects throughout the entire SDLC, delivering products to market on schedule and ensuring feedback loops from customers work their way into development
- Experience introducing and growing a quick release development environment with short cycles
- Good cross-disciplinary collaboration experience between engineering, technical operations, and product groups
- Solid knowledge of end-to-end quality best practices
- Experience with staffing, interviewing, retaining and building high performing teams
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-up
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
Jessica M.Director, Employee Experience
Jessica oversees a wide spectrum of responsibilities related to the professional lives of DigitalOcean employees, ensuring that every team member enjoys an engaging and comfortable work environment.
Back to top