Lead User Researcher
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about understanding our users and their needs.
DigitalOcean provides the simplest, user-focused experience to launch and maintain your server infrastructure online. As the company grows, we’re building an amazing platform, fully stocked with the features developers need to build great things. We already have a lot of exciting products in the pipeline, and will be adding many more in the coming months.
Everyone at DigitalOcean values and trusts the power of user-centered design. Our mission is to create products that'll make development way more enjoyable and infinitely less frustrating. We're a close-knit, collaborative, and light-hearted team. We are committed to making each other grow as designers, and be more impactful in the designs we make.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Leading research initiatives that uncover valuable product insights and driving those insights to become positive business outcomes.
- Evangelizing the research process and driving empathy throughout the organization
- Coaching designers to lead their own research and testing initiatives
- Running your own testing and insights projects.
- Building and managing the operational toolkit for research to take place in an agile and lean methods environment.
- Running regular checks on our analytics and making recommendations and designing implementation to make sure our systems are properly instrumented to collect the right data.
- Managing any outside contracting needs we might have to help us scale our research needs, or do operations like recruitment, lab spaces, and the like.
- Managing incentives for subjects.
- Build and manage the tools that we use.
- Hanging out with your team! :)
What We'll Expect From You:
- You have an advanced degree in a related research area: anthropology, sociology, human factors, HCI, design research or commensurate demonstrable experience.
- You have an extensive toolkit of research methods that you select and adapt to the special needs of each project. You have used this toolkit in an agile environment for multiple teams.
- While adaptable you are unflinching on research method and rigor.
- You move between quantitative and qualitative research fluidly to generate insights that drive product decisions.
- You are an influencer and evangelist who can craft the right story to help insights spread through an organization to increase understanding and empathy.
- You are comfortable running with the minutia of the research craft: Recruiting, contractor management, documentation, synthesis, findings presentation, etc.
- You are curious and like to learn about new things.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office in NY to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
From social media to content creation to hosting community events, Etel and her team focus on finding out what works best in DigitalOcean’s dev communities—and what new things they want in the future.
Back to top