Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
As an Infrastructure Architect on the Infrastructure Engineering team, you will be a key member who will provide technical expertise across the merger of software and hardware. You will work closely with other architects and engineers to ensure that the hardware infrastructure is designed to interoperate with all aspects of the infrastructure (including supporting software) while supporting the various customer-centric needs of the business.
The Infrastructure Architect is responsible for the design and engineering of hardware infrastructure, supporting software, leading infrastructure build projects, and developing best practices. The main goal will be to optimize performance and pricing in support of DO’s major product launches and infrastructure evolution. This role is perfect for someone with strong communication skills, a broad understanding of all areas of infrastructure, expertise in large-scale server infrastructure, and someone who is able to collaborate with a team of architects and engineers to develop overall designs to support the organization.
We’re a small, distributed, and cohesive team, and you’ll have a massive impact on the organization and product. We believe in autonomy for teams and individuals. We are a people-centric organization that values investing in employee growth and development, and we promise you’ll stretch yourself in new ways working on exciting and challenging new projects.
What You’ll Be Working On:
- Analyzing technical requirements to determine infrastructure designs, potential issues, and related costs
- Designing and implementing new hardware testing procedures
- Producing detailed design documents to effectively handover infrastructure build and operations to other engineering teams
- Coordinating with the procurement team and identifying new hardware as potential for upgrades in existing infrastructure
- Working with internal and external engineers and architects to prevent or solve difficult functional and performance issues
- Interacting with internal and external technical leaders to develop innovative solutions that meet business needs with respect to availability, functionality, performance, scalability, security, and reliability with realistic implementation schedules and adherence to architectural goals and principles
- Leading medium and large-scale projects building infrastructure for various parts of the cloud
- Contributing to the selection, prototyping, and implementation of hardware, operating systems, applications, and technical solutions to business problems
- Optimizing hardware economics through consistent evolution of design and review of hardware and component options
- Taking the pulse of, and keep tabs on, the general hardware markets for innovative designs, cost savings and market trends
What We’ll Expect From You:
- 9+ years of related experience, including 4+ years working in large-scale hosting environments
- Strong leadership qualities and the ability to gain respect across a highly technical team
- Experience in designing, deploying, and supporting on-premise and cloud-based hosting environments running high volume web-based applications and servers
- Expertise with server technologies and deployments in large datacenter environments
- Ability to quickly learn existing complex systems infrastructure
- Demonstrable analytical and problem solving skills, particularly as it relates to systems design
- In-depth understanding of server based storage technologies, particularly NAND technologies
- Experience in developing enterprise processes to promote efficiency
- Ability to influence, train, mentor and leverage the skills of others, including business partners and technical team
- Excellent communication and relationship skills
- Proficient with drawing tools such as Visio
- Proficient with complex spreadsheets using formulas
- Ability to work with and analyze large, complex data sets
- Ability to contribute to multiple projects/demands simultaneously
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- Because we have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- Because we value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- Because we care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- Because we invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- Because we want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- Because we value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top