Engineering Manager: Systems
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
DigitalOcean’s Cloud Engineering team is seeking a highly motivated and experienced technical engineering manager to support our engineers and engineering culture, most specifically leading the Systems Engineering team. This person will be responsible for aiding career development, motivating and monitoring engineers, working with engineering leads to evaluate an engineer’s performance, providing coaching, and counseling as needed.
We are looking for someone with a great understanding of teams and process who will be accountable for the engineering team’s performance and quality. You will also manage the recruitment, selection, and retention of the team as we continue to grow and scale. This role can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC and Cambridge, MA.
What You’ll Be Working On:
- Recruiting, managing, and maintaining a world-class engineering team
- Responsible for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects
- Collaborating with technical leads and contributing to the overall architecture, design, and development of core projects related to operating systems
- Managing software project schedules using various life cycle approaches (we are an Agile shop) and related methodologies using a variety of tools
- Building and developing processes to continuously improve engineering performance and quality
- Working with the product team to ensure successful product and feature rollouts including requirement analysis, capture, and documentation
- Supporting the professional goals and development opportunities for the entire team.
- Boosting communication and facilitating ongoing continuous feedback loops between engineers and the engineering leads
- Providing coaching and counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc
- Monitoring and reviewing each engineer's progress related to development goals and KPIs
- Organizing regular performance appraisals
- Planning and executing relevant training for the engineering team
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Technical management experience at multiple levels while hands-on in development
- Direct experience with managing, coaching, and mentoring software engineers
- Strong customer focus
- Experience introducing and growing an agile environment with short cycles
- Good cross-disciplinary collaboration experience between engineering, technical operations, and product
- Solid knowledge of end-to-end quality best practices
- Experience with staffing, interviewing and team building
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-up
Technologies and services we support:
- Linux subsystems
- Linux device drivers
- KVM, SSD and NIC firmware
- Performance testing and tracing tools
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- Because we have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- Because we value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- Because we care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- Because we invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- Because we want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- Because we value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
Director, Employee Experience
Jessica is responsible for running the DigitalOcean office. She oversees recruiting and onboarding and ensures that every employee feels fulfilled and supported throughout their time at DigitalOcean.
Back to top