Engineering Manager, Developer Tools
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about building high-performing teams and creating experiences that your peers will love.
DigitalOcean’s Developer Tools organization helps remove friction for our customers by providing a simple, yet scalable environment to engage our products and services. We serve a passionate developer community that has grown to love our straightforward pricing, easily configurable infrastructure and intuitive tutorials that helps create and run their software in the cloud.
As the manager of the Billing team within Developer Tools you will be responsible for helping to remove friction for customers as they view their bill, make payments, and anticipate future usage of our products and services. You will also help create a platform that opens new opportunities for developers as they scale their systems on DigitalOcean, and work with the broader engineering organization to align the strategy to get there.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Managing a team of software engineers and leading their day-to-day activities
- Providing technical input and advice as new features are added or existing features are iterated on, focusing on best practices, performance, reliability and scalability
- Providing regular feedback and guidance to engineers from a performance and development perspective
- Measuring the software development process for the team to increase deliverability and improve forecasting
- Work with other managers to improve processes, align roadmaps, and support new product initiatives across DigitalOcean
- Reporting the status of development, quality, operations, and performance to senior management
- Working closely with the product, engineering, and design teams to ensure alignment, define scope, milestones, deliverables and the resources needed
- Hiring, attracting, retaining and developing software engineers
- Managing the budget, processes, and compliance related activities for your team
What We'll Expect From You:
- Some billing system exposure
- An analytical mind that understands business critical financial data, including run-rate, product pricing, monthly invoicing, credits, adjustments and refunds
- An understanding of trends in cloud computing, including deployment management, containers, automation, identity & access, etc
- Strong communications skills with the ability to prioritize well and understand how to drive a high level of focus and excellence through a strong, talented and motivated team
- Sound business judgment, with a proven ability to influence others and drive consensus
- Direct experience building scalable infrastructure software and/or distributed systems
- Experience with building and leading teams with an emphasis on scaling them to meet the demands of a rapidly growing business
- Experience managing software engineers in a fast paced environment, releasing products and features on a daily basis
- Computer Science degree or cumulative relevant experience
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
Director, Employee Experience
Jessica oversees a wide spectrum of responsibilities related to the professional lives of DigitalOcean employees, ensuring that every team member enjoys an engaging and comfortable work environment.
Back to top