Director, Product Management
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
Reporting to the VP Product, the Director, Product Management will lead a team of 4-6 Product Managers as they extend the company’s existing offerings and create new platform capabilities.
The reward? You will get to work with a team of high-energy and dedicated product managers, designers and engineers to impact the lives of developers by simplifying innovation for them. This role is a great opportunity for experienced Product Leaders with expertise in IaaS, PaaS, SaaS or B2B Software development who want to have a real impact, both within the company and in the developer community at large, and launch products that are used and loved by thousands of developers worldwide. In joining our team, you'll enjoy a competitive salary, great benefits, a creative and comfortable work environment, and the exciting opportunity to be part of a fast-paced and growing technology company.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Oversee Product Management work in your teams, to ensure that development effort meets user needs, is aligned with company goals, and ships product in a consistent, plannable cadence
- Drive best practices in both Agile and traditional Product Management processes as appropriate to optimize each workstream
- Hire, develop, mentor, and provide ongoing performance feedback to Product Managers on your teams
- Represent and advocate for your teams in cross-functional forums with Software Engineering and Infrastructure leadership
- Lead the annual budgeting and quarterly OKR processes for your teams
- Work with internal and external stakeholders such as Marketing, Sales, Support, Community, Product Design (UX), and Operations to ensure alignment across the organization
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Leadership: ability to lead a matrixed cross-functional Product Development team
- Customer Focus: a solid understanding of the challenges that face developers when selecting an infrastructure platform, and a vision for how great products can help
- Technical Knowledge: the ability to collaborate with engineering teams on a highly technical product, and advocate for a customer base made up of professional developers
- Data Driven Approach: ability to articulate user hypotheses in terms of objective measures, and project KPI impact of new features
- Verbal and Written Communication: the ability to lead productive meetings, create effective and useful product documents, on a technically sophisticated product
- 10 years experience in Product Management, including at least 3 years of team leadership.
- Hands-on experience in software development and cloud infrastructure a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and agile development environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a technical field, such as computer science, engineering or mathematics.
- Experience talking with developers in their own language to come to the best solution from the beginning (hobby or professional coding experience in any language is a plus).
- Experience with B2C product management is a plus.
- Past success in shaping software products with an eye on ease-of-use.
- Successfully managed a complex technical product.
- MBA is a plus.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
From social media to content creation to hosting community events, Etel and her team focus on finding out what works best in DigitalOcean’s dev communities—and what new things they want in the future.
Back to top