Director, Product Design
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, profitable, high-growth technology company that has built a global infrastructure platform to serve a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to create a portfolio of cloud products and services that teams of developers love. Our product design has been recognized worldwide for its simplicity and superior user experience.
Reporting to the CTO, the Director, Product Design will lead a team of Product Designers to create simple, compelling, and elegant user experiences. You believe design is a science with hard KPI's that can influence decisions that either make or break a product. You are a practitioner, mentor, writer, speaker, and a leader for a team of individuals just as passionate about creating an environment where they can have a real impact both within the company and in the developer community at large.
What You'll Do:
- Oversee Product Design work in your team, maintaining consistent high standards for both visual and user experience design across the portfolio
- Drive best practices in both Agile and traditional Product Design/UX Methodology as appropriate for all products in the portfolio
- Implement a rigorous user research program in collaboration with stakeholders in Product Management, Engineering, Customer Success, Customer Service and Community
- Hire, develop, mentor, and provide performance feedback to Product Designers on your team
- Represent and advocate for your team in cross-functional forums with Product Management and Brand Design teams.
What We'll Expect From You:
- Design Leadership: relentless focus on standards, consistency, and superior experience design
- Customer Focus: experience driving best-practices around development and documentation of personas, customer workflows, and user journeys to guide decision-making
- Management: a track record of leading high-performing design organizations, developing talent, and delivering results in a dynamic environment
- Technical Knowledge: the ability to collaborate with engineering teams on a highly technical product and advocate for a developer-centric customer base
- Verbal and Written Communication: the ability to lead productive meetings, create effective and useful product design documents, and maintain alignment across a complex product portfolio
- 10+ years experience in Product Design, including at least three years of team leadership
- Hands on experience designing B2B, SaaS or workflow-management products not required, but a plus
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- Because we have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- Because we value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- Because we care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- Because we invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- Because we want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- Because we value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top