Director of Infrastructure Operations
DigitalOcean is the world’s second largest cloud infrastructure provider with 12 global data centers, tens of thousands of machines and hundreds of gigabits of bandwidth, we deal in scale! We’re also growing fast at DigitalOcean with 100%+ annual growth over previous years. Our philosophy is collaboration-focused, remote-friendly, growth-oriented and flexible. We treat our employees and customers with our founding principle, love!
The Director of Infrastructure Operations is responsible for maintaining performance and reliability and driving the economics of DigitalOcean’s global infrastructure. The ideal candidate has a proven track record of building large scalable teams as a creative thinker, problem solver, teacher, learner, and great manager of people. The Director will hold a highly visible leadership role which will touch all facets of infrastructure operations, partnering with software engineering leaders and liaising with senior executive stakeholders as well as our external partners.
As head of the Infrastructure Operations group, you would run network and platform engineering and would play a crucial role in product scoping, roadmap and hardware architecture discussions. You will work closely with product and engineering owners to deliver a scalable automation strategy across our DigitalOcean platform. You should have an uncanny ability to understand network architectures, pinpoint problem areas, uphold product quality and drive design with constant engagement with engineers and product owners. This role involves technical implementation and cross-functional collaboration to meet our business goals in a fast-paced environment.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Direct and continue to build a team of platform and network engineers who provide support and maintenance of our 24x7 IaaS solution to our customers as well as to internal groups including Engineering and Product
- Drive hardware and network architecture and manage recommended configurations through testing, validation and roll out into the field
- Manage and improve economics for the infrastructure architecture as well as the operating environment
- Direct the development of tracking and control tools for the operation of the global infrastructure environment
- Monitor systems, databases and networks for proper operation and performance while managing on call support for the operations infrastructure
- Oversight of infrastructure performance against DigitalOcean’s public SLA’s
- Act as a focal point for high severity technical issues that arise in support of our customers.
- Ensure that our technical staff is current and trained on the latest technologies as well as new releases of third party software required for our platform.
- Establish standard processes for diagnosing issues, tracking status and escalating issues within and outside the group.
- Establish operational objectives, strategies and workflows to improve current operations as well as planning for future products and requirements.
- Establish product and process improvement plans to reduce support effort and increase our platform’s availability and scalability.
- Work together with our engineering teams on design, reliability and maintenance issues.
What We Expect From You:
- A minimum of 8 years of supervisory or managerial experience with a proven ability to engage, motivate, evaluate and mentor team members and managers.
- Experience building and leading high performing operations and systems engineering teams
- Fundamental knowledge of core Linux OS and different distributions with a focus on building, maintaining and securing virtualized cloud systems
- Proven track record of operating large‐scale, high‐quality systems focused on the infrastructure layer of the technology stack
- Proven experience with capacity planning, performance tuning, and infrastructure architecture
- An understanding of horizontally and vertically scaling web, application and data systems
- The capacity to manage service delivery functions in a complex multi-site, global environment
- A general understanding of network engineering with a good understanding of network security and how it relates to scaling infrastructure
- A general knowledge of systems hardware planning
- P&L experience and the ability to manage CapEx budget planning, contract/vendor relations, and asset inventory management is a big plus.
- Experience with virtual infrastructure platforms is a must.
Why You'll Like Working at DigitalOcean:
- Because we have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- Because we value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- Because we care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- Because we invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- Because we want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- Because we value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top