Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that has built a global infrastructure platform to enable developers around the world to seamlessly deploy, manage, and scale their applications. With more than 750,000 registered customers and over 30,000 teams, DigitalOcean has become one of the fastest growing cloud platforms in the industry. Our mission is to create a portfolio of cloud products and services that teams of developers love.
The Director of Communications will drive our thought leadership engine and create a world-class communications plan for DigitalOcean, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization's brand reputation. The Director of Communications will be working closely with the Head of Marketing to develop, integrate, and implement a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership and promote the DO brand with both developers and potential employees. This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and will amplify programs, product launches, and build our thought leadership position in the developer community. DigitalOcean is one of the premier tech companies in NYC and we are looking for someone to help us tell that story!
What You'll Be Doing:
- Develop and implement a strategic communications plan to advance DigitalOcean’s brand identity, broaden awareness of its vision, and amplify the visibility of new products
- Educate users, press, bloggers, analysts and influencers about core DigitalOcean products and initiatives
- Work closely with leadership team and departments to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute a holistic communications strategy to support them
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote the brand within the developer community
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure maximum coverage surrounding DigitalOcean’s products, events, and programs.
- Partner with the Director of Talent Acquisition to promote and enhance our employer brand
- Manage DigitalOcean’s relationships with agencies and other external communications providers.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material for the leadership team
- Organize and present supporting data and success metrics from driving ongoing external communication initiatives (e.g. impressions, traffic, etc.)
- Create all press materials
What We'll Expect From You:
- 7-10+ years relevant experience in public relations and communications, external and internal
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience in digital media
- Creative and thoughtful on optimal usage of new media and digital technologies
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals
- A strong technical background and understanding of the tech startup industry
- A strong-sense of teamwork and ability to both manage AND execute programs
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field and, an advanced degree is preferred
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
Director, Employee Experience
Jessica is responsible for running the DigitalOcean office. She oversees recruiting and onboarding and ensures that every employee feels fulfilled and supported throughout their time at DigitalOcean.
Back to top