Data Science Engineer
DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer, making it easy to launch and manage web infrastructure. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology problems around, and with over 800,000 developers deploying to our cloud, we are scaling at an unprecedented rate.
Our Business Operations unit interfaces with the rest of DigitalOcean to ensure our ability to execute on our product vision and support our growing customer base in a data-driven and efficient manner. As a Data Science Engineer, you will join a growing Data & Analytics team that partners with decision-makers across the organization to catalyze business growth by providing robust and relevant analysis, insights and data products. The D&A team is hands-on with a wide variety of datasets, including user data, product behavior data, financial/payment data, upper-funnel marketing data, and operational/infrastructure data.
As a Data Science Engineer, you will:
- Develop predictive models on large-scale datasets to address a wide range of business problems
- Implement scalable and efficient modeling algorithms that can work in large-scale production systems
- Work closely with our Director of D&A as well as team leads across the company to identify and execute on a wide range of opportunities for advanced data modeling and analysis, leveraging advanced statistical modeling, machine learning, or data mining techniques
You should feel at home in a fast-paced startup environment, with the ability and desire to dive into incomplete and imperfect datasets. You should feel ready to create an analytical framework or solution where one does not already exist, and should be ready to blaze a path forward where there may be ambiguity.
Some Example Projects Include:
- Customer-centric problems such as churn, segmentation, product recommendation
- Fraud and anomaly detection
- Detection and prediction of various back-end events (e.g. hardware failure)
- Time-series forecasting of complex user demand patterns for capacity planning
What We'll Expect From You:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Economics, or other quantitative field; Masters or PhD strongly preferred
- 3+ years experience in data science or quantitative analytics role, preferably in a high-growth company
- Comprehensive understanding of statistical modeling, machine learning and data mining concepts, and experience using these methods to solve business challenges
- Familiarity with at least one statistical modeling / machine learning tool such as R or Matlab, and one programming language such as Python or Java
- Expert knowledge of, and hands-on experience with SQL
- Demonstrable critical thinking and analytical skills, including the ability and confidence to make conclusions and recommendations from data
- Experience interacting with key stakeholders in different fields, interpreting challenges and opportunities into actionable data-driven analysis and implementing science-driven data products
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- Because we have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- Because we value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- Because we care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- Because we invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- Because we want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- Because we value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
Director, Employee Experience
Jessica is responsible for running the DigitalOcean office. She oversees recruiting and onboarding and ensures that every employee feels fulfilled and supported throughout their time at DigitalOcean.
Back to top