Data Center Engineer
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing so developers and their teams can spend more time building software that changes the world. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
At DigitalOcean, Data Center Engineers play a massive role in the success of our business. Our amazing Data Center team is responsible for maintaining and growing the physical infrastructure of the DigitalOcean cloud, past, present, and future. They own everything related to the physical servers and networking gear that enables our company, and our customers to scale.
Day to day duties may include everything from replacing a faulty drive in one of our servers to flying overseas to set up a brand new Data Center from scratch. In exchange for your expertise and enthusiastic interest in DigitalOcean, we can offer you a role on a fast-growing, and collaborative team where you'll be given regular opportunities to hone your skills and learn new ones.
What You'll Be Working On:
- Deploying and maintaining new Data Center infrastructure
- Racking, stacking and wiring servers, power distribution units, and switches
- Installing servers, switches, routers, and storage hardware
- Submitting RMA to equipment manufacturers and shipping and receiving gear to and from remote locations and vendors
- Submitting and tracking remote work requests and managing server and component inventory
- Diagnosing and repairing hardware and performing upgrades, integrations, rebuilds and other projects as needed
- Debugging network, hardware, and Linux OS related issues
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Hands on experience with servers, hardware, networking
- 1 year of data center experience where you worked with physical servers
- Basic proficiency with Linux OS (working in terminal sessions or command line)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, a collaborative nature and a friendly can-do attitude
- Solid troubleshooting skills in networking, hardware, and Linux OS related issues
- A strong desire and aptitude for solving problems and performing deep technical dives to resolve issues quickly and efficiently
- Willingness to participate in an on-call rotation
- A valid driver’s license (must be comfortable with driving)
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (10% - 15% travel)
- Ability to be on your feet all day
- Ability to lift objects up to 50 lbs
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
Director, Employee Experience
Jessica oversees a wide spectrum of responsibilities related to the professional lives of DigitalOcean employees, ensuring that every team member enjoys an engaging and comfortable work environment.
Back to top