Data Center Engineer
- Frankfurt, Germany
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
At DigitalOcean, Data Center Engineers play a massive role in the success of our business. Our amazing Data Center team is responsible for maintaining and growing the physical infrastructure of the DigitalOcean cloud, past, present and future. They own everything related to the physical servers and networking gear that enables our company, and our customers to scale.
Day to day duties may include everything from replacing a faulty drive in one of our servers, to flying overseas to set up a brand new Data Center from scratch. In exchange for your expertise and enthusiastic interest in DigitalOcean, we can offer you a role on a fast growing, and collaborative team where you'll be given regular opportunities to hone your skills and learn new ones.
What You'll Be Working On:
- Deploying and maintaining Data Center infrastructure
- Racking, stacking and wiring servers, power distribution units, and switches
- Installing servers, switches, routers, and storage hardware
- Submitting warranty replacement requests to equipment manufacturers; shipping and receiving gear to and from remote locations and vendors
- Submitting and tracking remote work requests and managing server and component inventory
- Diagnosing and repairing hardware and performing upgrades, integrations, rebuilds and other projects as needed
- Debugging network, hardware, and Linux OS related issues
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Hands on experience with servers, hardware, and networking equipment.
- 1 year of data center center experience where you worked with physical servers
- Basic proficiency with Linux OS (working in terminal sessions or command line)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, a collaborative nature and a friendly can-do attitude
- Solid troubleshooting skills in networking, hardware, and Linux OS related issues
- A strong desire and aptitude for solving problems and performing deep technical dives to resolve issues quickly and efficiently
- Willingness to participate in an on-call rotation
- A valid driver’s license (must be comfortable with driving)
- Ability to travel and work across Europe (10% - 15% travel) along with some international travel to the USA and Asia.
- Ability to be on your feet all day
- Ability to lift objects up to 50 lbs (23kgs)
- Excellent written and spoken English; ability to speak German a strong plus.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health.
- We invest in your future. We provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Infrastructure team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!
Back to top