Data Business Partner, Product
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
Our Business Operations unit interfaces with the rest of DigitalOcean to ensure our ability to execute on our product vision and support our growing customer base in a data-driven and efficient manner. As a Business Partner, you will join a growing Data & Analytics team that partners with decision-makers across the organization to catalyze business growth by providing robust and relevant analysis, insights and data products.
The Business Partner for Product will serve as the Data & Analytics department’s sole representative in Product and Engineering, partnering directly with the CTO on a daily basis to assess new business opportunities, uncover new insights, and implement strategies that grow our product portfolio and our business.
We are looking for a quantitatively-minded individual with strong strategic acumen and significant experience working with Product and Engineering teams in a high-growth environment.
You should feel at home in a fast-paced startup environment, with the ability and desire to dive independently into incomplete and imperfect datasets. You should thrive in situations where decisions need to be made as quickly and effectively as possible based on the available data, and where your analysis, insights and advice are used daily to make decisions that affect close to a million users. You should feel ready to create an analytical framework or solution where one does not already exist, and should be ready to blaze a path forward where there may be ambiguity.
What You'll Be Working On:
- Managing advanced data mining across the entirety of the company’s data, as well as incorporating third-party and industry data to formulate data-driven strategies that support our product portfolio at every stage of the lifecycle.
- Work “hands on” with a wide variety of datasets, including user data, financial/payment data, upper-funnel marketing data, and operational/infrastructure data.
- Gathering data from a wide range of sources, with varying degrees of cleanliness and structure, and wrangling together a story that helps our CTO and other leaders make decisions that drive business growth.
- Generate data-driven guidance and recommendations that both support existing plans and help form brand new strategies.
- Beyond our CTO, you will work closely with members of our Product and Engineering teams (from upper-management to entry-level individual contributors) to better understand our users, becoming the authority on the “data story” behind our product portfolio.
- You will utilize your data mining skills and understanding of key business drivers to leverage an array of datasets across multiple systems into meaningful, actionable information for members across the Product and Engineering organization
Some Questions You’ll Dig Into Include:
- How do we decide on key success metrics and model expectations for new product releases and generate reliable ROI frameworks for R&D investment? How will revenue and COGS be affected over the near and long term for new products?
- Which areas of the market are currently unaddressed, and what is the opportunity for pursuing them?
- How do we leverage our existing customer base to accelerate insights that help us iterate on existing products? How can we ensure we are building new products to enable this measurement?
- What are our customers’ common use cases and how do different products overlap to meet their many different needs? What opportunities exist to simplify or condense our offering?
- Who is already offering a product we are building? How can we evaluate the benefits of build vs buy? How do we think about differentiation and value when entering a new space?
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Degree in a quantitative field from a top-tier program (MBA a plus)
- Experience working with Product and Engineering teams building technical SaaS products in a high-growth environment
- Track record of generating advanced data analysis in a fast-paced business environment, producing results that inform key business decisions
- Exceptional critical thinking and analytical skills, including the ability and confidence to make conclusions and recommendations from data to C-level stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills, with experience translating complex research and data analysis into easily digestible insights and actionable recommendations
- Experience interacting with key stakeholders in a wide range of different fields, pulling out challenges and opportunities for analysis
- Hands-on ability to generate insights and recommendations for a variety of business functions, from start to finish (data cleaning to analysis to slides)
- Experience building easily digestible data visualizations and reports
- Understanding of basic statistical modeling and data mining concepts, and experience using these methods in a business environment
- Advanced SQL, Excel required; Familiarity with statistical tools or programming languages a huge plus (Python, R, Java, etc.)
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of DigitalOcean's Employees
From social media to content creation to hosting community events, Etel and her team focus on finding out what works best in DigitalOcean’s dev communities—and what new things they want in the future.
Back to top