IT Specialist, Web Developer
Come aboard the Railroad Retirement Board and join us in using creativity, automation and innovation to carry out our mission to administer insurance benefit programs under the Railroad Retirement Act and the Railroad Unemployment Insurance Act. You can be a part of the team that delivers best in class service to railroad workers and their families!
As a Web Developer at the Railroad Retirement Board, you will be responsible for the technical planning, design, development, and technical management of Web site applications that reside in stand-alone, Internet and intranet environments.
RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL NOT BE PAID.
This job announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies.
- As a Web Developer with the U.S. Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) you will
- Determine overall technical design and structure for assigned web applications
- Provide technical advice to other developers
- Ensure rigorous application of information security assurance policies, principles, and practices to the application development process
- Assist with the assessment of system requirements, participates in the analysis and design of appropriate solutions using object-oriented techniques and tools, and reviews proposed solutions with projects managers, analysts, users, and project stakeholders
- Provide weekly and monthly status reports to management
- Develop and maintain database applications relating to web projects employing various version of SQL Server and/orDB2 RDMS
- Implement stored procedures for data integrity, access, and manipulation, as well as complex SQL statements
- Potentially be assigned to work on a Imaging team and will become responsible for some part of the administration, maintenance and development of Imaging components and/or related systems.
- Not Required
- Key Requirements
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Be sure to read the 'How to Apply' section and submit required documents
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service
- Must complete initial online questionnaire and additional assessment(s)
- May require completion of a 1 year probationary period.
- For each grade level candidates must have Information Technology related experience demonstrating the following four competencies:
- Attention to Detail: Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service: Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the service or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication: Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving: Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
- Applicants applying for the GS-09 grade level must meet one of the following requirements:
- Education Substitution: You have a Master's degree or equivalent graduate degree or 2-full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's or equivalent master's degree in one of the following fields: computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks OR
- Specialized Experience: You have at least one year of specialized experience. Specialized experience is defined as: Demonstrated experience in participating in small to medium development teams to develop high-quality, scalable applications using an interactive approach and develop and maintain database applications relating to web projects.
- Civil service regulations require that applicants must have occupied a position at the GS-07 level or higher for at least one year.
Applicants applying for the GS-11 grade level must meet one of the following requirements:
- Education Substitution: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3-full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in one of the following fields: Computer Science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks OR
- Specialized Experience: You have at least one year of specialized experience. Specialized experience is defined as demonstrated experience in developing and maintaining database applications relating to web projects as well as performing design, development, implementation and unit test features/functions of application in a web environment and troubleshooting issues with existing or developed systems.
- Civil service regulations require that applicants must have occupied a position at the GS-09 level or higher for at least one year.
- SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR FOREIGN EDUCATION: Qualifying education from colleges and universities in foreign countries must be evaluated in terms of equivalency to that acquired in U.S. colleges and universities. Applicants educated in whole or in part of foreign countries must submit sufficient evidence, including transcripts, to an accredited private organization for an equivalency evaluation of course work and degree.
- This agency provides reasonable accommodations to applicants. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the applications and hiring process, please notify the agency. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Back to top