IT Specialist, Networks
Come aboard the Railroad Retirement Board and join us in using creativity, automation and innovation to carry out our mission to administer insurance benefit programs under the Railroad Retirement Act and the Railroad Unemployment Insurance Act. You can be a part of the team that delivers best in class service to railroad workers and their families!
As a IT Specialist (Networks) with the U.S. Railroad Retirement Board (RRB), you will participate in the designing of local and remote data communications networks.
RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL NOT BE PAID.
This job announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies.
As a IT Specialist (Networks) with the U.S. Railroad Retirement Board (RRB), you will:
- advise other information technology personnel and users regarding data communications technology
- develop comprehensive technical requirements for communications and networking hardware, software, and consultative services
- participate in the development of security procedures, operating standards, policies, and training curricula
- install and maintain software, apply modifications, and monitor and tune software systems
- Not Required
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Be sure to read the 'How to Apply' section and submit required documents
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service
- Must complete initial online questionnaire and additional assessment(s)
- May require completion of a 1 year probationary period.
- One year of specialized experience at the GS-11 level or higher which is defined as experience which includes network operations, management, and maintenance methods and concepts; network architecture principles and concepts; network optimization techniques; and the like. For example assignments would demonstrate experience in configuring switches and routers; monitoring network performance; performing network diagnostics; analyzing network traffic patterns; and installing network software fixes and upgrades. In addition, experience designing, testing, implementing and maintaining Cisco routing and switching environments is desired.
- In addition, all applicants must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below. Applicants must demonstrate possession of these competencies within the body of the resume; no separate statements addressing them are required.
- Attention to Detail - Applicant is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to details.
- Customer Service - Interacts with other IT personnel, users and clients in order to diagnose and/or resolve any data communication issues that may arise.
- Oral Communication -Demonstrates the ability to translate technical terms into layman's terms when necessary; effectively expresses information to senior leadership, groups, and other individuals while taking into account the audience and nature of the information (i.e., technical, sensitive, controversial); influence; build consensus with peers; makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Proactively identifies problems, determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
- There is no education substitution for this position.
- Public Trust - Background Investigation
Back to top