Director of Purchasing
Purpose: The Director of Purchasing is responsible for procurement of supplies and equipment across the entire DentalOne Partners network of affiliated practices. The Director of Purchasing is responsible for developing strategies and procedures to reduce expenses, negotiate optimal pricing, increase efficiencies, and improve quality through both domestic and international channels. The Director will work across functional and geographic boundaries to ensure high levels of service and satisfaction relative to supplies and equipment.
This position will be at the forefront of identifying, developing and sourcing dental equipment, supplies, and technology and consumer merchandise, helping DentalOne maximize clinical care and patient experience while minimizing costs and inefficiencies.
- Lead purchasing function, including redefining strategic sourcing within the organization, developing both short term and long term plans, defining targets, implementing best practices and driving execution and redefining
- Manage and develop procurement team, accountable for all purchasing activity across enterprise
- Responsible for analyzing current supply spend, identifying cost reduction opportunities, performing market analysis and recommending sourcing strategies with appropriate risk/benefit analysis
- Ensure appropriate audit trails are embedded in the purchase order and accounts payable processes
- Design and align best practice purchasing policies within organization, developing process improvements to increase efficiency and accuracy.
- Identifies best suppliers, establishing and maintaining contractual and business relationships including negotiating pricing, contracts, and payment terms with suppliers for the benefit of the organization
- Work closely, in a team environment, with Executive Committee, Clinical, Construction, IT, Regional, District, and Practice Management teams to maximize the patients’ experience.
- Develop and maintain a high level of product and dental industry awareness to keep current on new supplier, market trends, product innovations and technologies
- Identify and source new dental products, both in clinical equipment and in consumer merchandise
- Perform Requests for Proposals (RFP’s) for key categories to present to Clinical teams for final execution with clear communications to the field.
- Perform periodic line reviews of the current formulary to Clinical teams.
- Use SKU rationalization, problem solving, establish processes to control product transitions, introductions, and exit strategies to keep inventory levels within budget.
- Prepare budgets with adherence to plans.
- Negotiate contracts for all direct and indirect suppliers.
- Coordinate/execute all new practices and current practices capital purchases.
- Work closely with Construction/Operations team and vendor technical teams to insure timely execution of all new practice (DeNovo)/Remodel/Expansion/Digital Conversion/Relocation product delivery timelines.
- Negotiate/collect all vendor programs and vendor special events.
- Negotiate/coordinate all vendor profiles and certificates of insurance for all direct/indirect vendors.
- Prepare/Maintain periodic reporting tools for distribution to key personnel.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 4 year Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree helpful, but not required
- Domestic purchasing/procurement experience required; International experience, especially in Asia, is not required but is preferred.
- Diversified background with exposure to operations and/or finance a plus. Working knowledge of procurement and purchase order systems and processes. Strong command of vendor performance management and contract administration
- Previous experience necessary in developing and implementing cost saving efficiencies in purchasing and sourcing, high level understanding of best practice trends
- Contract negotiation experience dealing with a wide variety of manufacturers and suppliers.
- Ability to learn new systems and procedures.
- Must be highly motivated, have effective people skills, with the ability to work hard unsupervised and without constant direction.
- Able to prioritize work to be able to successfully complete multiple tasks within expected time frames
- Strong problem solving, computer, organizational skills
- Ability to maintain a positive work environment
- Strong and tactful communication skills (verbal, listening and written). Ability to present information in a clear and understandable manner.
- Highly detailed in daily tasks
- Ability to adapt to change and willingness to take on new tasks
- Strong organizational skills, time management and prioritization skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment, adjusting priorities as needed.
- Able to work independently with a high level of professionalism, dedication and commitment
- Strong, interpersonal and relationship building skills; establish and maintain positive working relationships, internally and externally
- Ability to create, develop and lead a high performance team focused on delivering results in a timely fashion
- Strong analytical skills with an in-depth understanding of pricing, negotiation and cost drivers
- Strategic thinker with ability to identify opportunities through a comprehensive analysis of current and future trends
- Upholds and demonstrates high ethical standards and integrity.
- Fast Paced Office Environment
- Travel required, but not extensive, up to 25%
Meet Some of DentalOne Partners's Employees
Senior Vice President, Operations
Melissa partners with 59 practices in the West region to set each team up for success by making sure in-office Operations Teams and support services are ready for patients.
Back to top